Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" Released For A Pleasant Linux Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" Released For A Pleasant Linux Desktop Experience

Phoronix: Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" Released For A Pleasant Linux Desktop Experience

Just ahead of Ubuntu 18.10, Solus 4, and Fedora 29 among other forthcoming Linux distribution releases, Elementary OS 5 "Juno" has been released for a polished desktop experience that aims to compete with macOS and Windows for desktop usability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"compete with macOS and Windows for desktop usability"

I use Linux (Lubuntu) and macOS and Windows - and I don't get it, why any distro would want to compete with macOS and Windows (in their current state)...

Comment

The last time I gave elementary a try, the kernel version they were using was so ancient that it probably didn't support USB. Just that issue alone rendered the whole thing unusable for me.

Comment

The huge title bars...

Comment

It's funny how Windows is being considered a contender for a usability contest

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
            The last time I gave elementary a try, the kernel version they were using was so ancient that it probably didn't support USB. Just that issue alone rendered the whole thing unusable for me.
            This thing uses Ubuntu 18.04 as base and receives kernel updates same as Ubuntu, so it should not be far behind in hardware support.

Previous release shipped libinput instead of Ubuntu's older input stack, so it was actually ahead of Ubuntu in hardware support. Not sure about this one, though.

Comment

It is actually pretty cool and really polished, however I dislike the ubuntu base and the appstore with this payment method is going to be pretty confused, and I don't really like the idea the entrust my credit card to them... Because the appstore I don't believe this distro is a good choice for kids and teens.

Comment

The app store is pay-what-you-want, which includes 0$ as an option. So kids will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
                  The app store is pay-what-you-want, which includes 0$ as an option. So kids will be fine
                  For me it still continues to be confused. Those software aren't in sell but you are free to do a donation, and this is actually good, however the way how these money are handled is not clear to me, but I haven't go in depth, I saw in a screenshot the word "fund" however haven't tried it out then I can't say more, but I think is a pretty non-sense yet. In a screenshot there is a page to pay for a security update which means mostly kernel updates that are handled by Canonical if not Debian... So it seems to me very confused, as a father I will never install it on my computer's kids or at least I will get rid of the Elementary appstore.

Comment

I personally do not like imitations and ElementaryOS is a clear imitation of the Mac. I prefer the imagination and the ability to create something unique. I am not saying to invent, also because there is little to invent, but the ability to make your own DE with a strong personality, Gnome has it, Kde with Plasma 5 has it, the rest to me personally leaves very perplexed, but it is just my opinion. Hello

Comment

Working...
                    X