Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Bring-Up Of NVIDIA's Driver With Mir Continues

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Bring-Up Of NVIDIA's Driver With Mir Continues

The Ubuntu developers continuing to work on the Mir display server stack have made headway in their NVIDIA driver enablement effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by bofh80
    OK, actually i'm reasonably confused at this point. I thought Mir had devolved into a wayland uhm[compositor], replacement for weston. ie alternative to gnome+wayland. And hence wayland only supports GBM or whatever it's called, and not EGL Streams. So. Obviously I missed something.
    And the wiki page says Mir is built on EGL. I'm just dumbfounded.
    Wayland is only a protocol for how clients (applications) communicate with the compositor. The compositor can manage the hardware in any way it likes.

Comment

OK, actually i'm reasonably confused at this point. I thought Mir had devolved into a wayland uhm[compositor], replacement for weston. ie alternative to gnome+wayland. And hence wayland only supports GBM or whatever it's called, and not EGL Streams. So. Obviously I missed something.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGL_(API)

EGL is an interface between Khronos rendering APIs (such as OpenGL, OpenGL ES or OpenVG) and the underlying native platform windowing system.

The Wayland display server protocol uses EGL. It is implemented in a way that Wayland clients will draw directly to the framebuffer using EGL.

The Mir display server protocol by Canonical Ltd. uses EGL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generi...eleration_APIs (and scroll up a little)

Generic Buffer Management (GBM) is an API which provides a mechanism for allocating buffers for graphics rendering tied to Mesa. GBM is intended to be used as a native platform for EGL on drm or openwfd. The handle it creates can be used to initialize EGL and to create render target buffers

So to recap, GBM is a thing used to work with EGL. "EGL Streams" is a NVIDIA's own extension to EGL that apparently isn't compatible with GBM.

Comment

"Devolve" isn't a real word. Please stop using it. Evolution is one-way only, even when it moves "backwards" according to your subjective opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
          "Devolve" isn't a real word. Please stop using it. Evolution is one-way only, even when it moves "backwards" according to your subjective opinion.
          "Devolve" is a real word, and one of the possible meanings (as it can also be used to mean other things) match the way he is using it for.

"to change from one thing to another, often to something bad: "

to pass on (something, such as responsibility, rights, or powers) from one person or entity to another; to pass by transmission or succession; to fall or be passed usually as a responsibility or obligation… See the full definition

" to degenerate through a gradual change or evolution "

Definition, Synonyms, Translations of devolve by The Free Dictionary

"To degenerate or deteriorate gradually"

Comment

Working...
          X