Fedora Wants To Know If Linux Hibernation Works For You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    My desktop is based on a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard. I have not yet tested hibernate, but it has been on my todo list for a while, as I run the machine 24/7 and I like the idea of power savings via hibernate for nights and weekends. I will try and get it configured this weekend, and report back...
    As promised, reporting back on hibernate. Note that my PC started as a fresh install of F25, and has been upgraded to F26, F27, and now F28.
    I had to edit /etc/sysconfig/grub and append "resume=/dev/my/swap/disk" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX value. And then do a 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' for it to take effect.

After that, hibernate/resume appears to work great, in fact, I am typing this after having successfully resumed from hibernate. I did have to create a second swap partition, large enough to hold my 32 GB of memory.

But there is one minor issue I'm having. When I hibernate, the memory is correctly saved to swap, the PC powers off...... and then 2 seconds later, the PC powers back on, boots up, and resumes. It does not stay in the off state! I have to quickly hit the power button before the OS boots, and then it will power off and stay off. It only does this odd 'off and then back on' behavior when logged in as a regular user. When logged in as root, it hibernates, powers off, and stays off.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 October 2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by esmth View Post
      Though a full normal boot is faster than resuming from the hibernation image so its not worth it for me to use
      You're missing the point. You don't hibernate to preserve a blank desktop. You hibernate to preserve the 50 different apps and associated data you have open and laid out just how you like them across all your virtual desktops. Cold normal boot is not faster when you have to open all those apps, open your data files, move windows around, etc. I.e. Hibernate preserves the state of your workflow, and allows you to more easily pick up where you left off.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 October 2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
        On Windows, there are several different hibernation mode. There is one that copies all state to the hard drive so the computer can be completely turned off and RAM turned off so it can be restarted from the hard drive copy. There is a second type where the system can go into a very low power state where RAM is kept alive but everything else is powered down. Each has its own pros and cons. It should be possible to configure a default and also explicitely choose which one you want.
        You're over-complicating this. And it has nothing to do with Windows. The definitions are the same, regardless of operating system type. Both Windows and Linux use the same terminology:

'Hibernate' = RAM contents are saved to disk, and the machine powers off completely. At next cold boot, the RAM contents are restored from disk.

'Suspend' = RAM remains static, but powered to preserve its contents. The rest of the machine components enter either a low power state, or are powered off. If this is a laptop, the battery will eventually deplete, as the RAM remains powered. If the battery is depleted during suspend, the machine state is lost, and it becomes an unclean shutdown.

The various Linux DE's all support both, and so does systemd from the command line.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 October 2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Half my ram goes to /tmp for misc stuff...out of what is left, a quarter of that is dedicated to ZFS and the rest is normal system ram. I'd need to cover system ram in use + ZFS stuff + anything under /tmp at the time of hibernation. It's just best to pretend that I need a 1:1 ram to swap ratio because most of the time my ram sits at 30GB+ in use...I didn't buy a ton of ram to tweak my system to not use it.
          You're right, in this case you need equal swap.

Comment

Hibernation doesn't work on my laptop -- MSI GE60 0NC. When try to perform hibernation, the laptop first powers off the screen, a few seconds later the screen powers on with gdm screen. Log in, and nothing change on desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by wsxy162 View Post
              Hibernation doesn't work on my laptop -- MSI GE60 0NC. When try to perform hibernation, the laptop first powers off the screen, a few seconds later the screen powers on with gdm screen. Log in, and nothing change on desktop.
              Try my suggestion from https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...86#post1051986

(That you see a gdm screen after your attempt has nothing to do with the actual hibernation, your distribution is probably just configured to lock the screen upon hibernation, which is a good thing.)

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                (That you see a gdm screen after your attempt has nothing to do with the actual hibernation, your distribution is probably just configured to lock the screen upon hibernation, which is a good thing.)
                I tried running command "systemctl hibernate" on tty1, looks like the same: the screen powers off and returns on again. It even doesn't go into hibernation yet.

Comment

Working...
                X