Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it work on any ARM board yet?

Comment

Let's not pretend that actually shutting down is working either. This is a decade old problem. Just try to turn any laptop off:

1. Turn it off.
      2. Smack down the lid.
      3. Throw it in your bag.

Expected result: Laptop is turned off and doesn't use power.

Actual result: Laptop is suspended, draining battery. Next time you turn it on, it resumes turning itself off instead, making you wait and have to turn it on a second time.
      Last edited by andreano; 03 October 2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I have 48GB of ram and I don't want a 48GB swap volume so hibernation isn't an option for me.
        As I know you don't need swap equal to RAM to use hibernation. You need swap which can handle your RAM content when you want hibernate. When I've upgraded my RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB and left swap 4 GB, hibernation was still working. Now I haven't got swap and prefer suspend over hibernation. I can even shutdown my computer, on SSD it booting quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

What hardware? Generally useful to know when talking hibernation/s2d.
          Acer aspire M5500 with Amd graphics.
          Edit. Originally had a Nvidia geforce 315, now has a Sapphire Radeon R5 230 2Gb.
          Last edited by Charlie68; 03 October 2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Another failure case:

Packard Bell EasyNote LE
            AMD E1-1200 APU
            smbios-2.7
            BIOS: Insyde Corp V2.10
            sku=ENLE11BZ_073D_2.10

It used to resume to a black screen. Now, it performs a blank boot when trying to resume.

Comment

I must admit I'm a bit confused between suspend, suspend to disk, hibernate, and the likes...

I'm on Fedora 28, on my desktop machine, and I simply push the power button when I go out. I think it goes into suspend (since the power button blink, I guess it's not hibernation). I've never tried suspend to disk or hibernate since it's not the default and I like that resuming is really fast after a simple suspend.

Only bug I have: my VPN is disconnected after suspend (it's not the case in OSX, so I guess it's doable to keep the connection or at least create a new one on resume).

Comment

After I upgraded from 26 to 28, there have been two hibernate bugs

1. Hibernate failed with system freeze, until I allocated more swap than RAM (sometime after I set up zswap on)

2. Coming back from hibernate halves my RX560's 3d performance. Goes back to normal after reboot or suspend.

otherwise it works great, just these didnt happen to me back in fedora 26.

Comment

Suspend has been working fine on my laptop for several months, but since 2 or 3 months resume gives me a black screen and a hard reboot is needed. Hp g5 probook

Comment

Having always been a Fedora try-it-then-dump-it (for Ubuntu) guy, I'm getting the sense that Red Hat is suddenly making a big effort to turn this distro into the new desktop default.

I may even give it an extended try on 29. I'll force myself. Because while I don't think "stutter free boot" is a big deal, it does send a big positive message on the idea of attention to detail. And this kind of aesthetic attention to detail is what I always liked about Ubuntu. Which Shuttleworth is de-emphasizing.

I'm kinda ready to switch loyalty. And I speak as a South African (not that that matters a great deal but, all other things equal, I was always willing to give Ubuntu the benefit of the doubt. Now I'm less certain than I've ever been and I can imagine what non-partisans must be feeling. I switch on 5-year horizon criteria and I'm getting a very good feeling about Fedora's long term commitment to the Linux desktop).
                    Last edited by vegabook; 03 October 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

HP Elitebook 755 G2 (AMD Kaveri APU), hibernation doesn't work because I use SecureBoot, suspend broke some time ago, I think because of a kernel update, and never recovered, it just hangs while powering down and the only way to recover it is a hard reboot.
                      This on Fedora 28 x86_64.

Comment

Working...
                      X