Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Wants To Know If Linux Hibernation Works For You

Phoronix: Fedora Wants To Know If Linux Hibernation Works For You

Linux hibernation and suspend/resume works much better in recent years than a decade ago, certainly, but that isn't without some bugs still persisting either due to quirky hardware or the occasional kernel/software issues as well. Fedora developers are interested in hearing about your current system hibernation experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On my workstation with openSUSE both suspension and hibernation work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      On my workstation with openSUSE both suspension and hibernation work well.
      What hardware? Generally useful to know when talking hibernation/s2d.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I disable hibernation even in Windows...

Comment

On my Asus GL52 based laptop, suspension works reasonably fine in F28. It's been a while since I last attempted hybernation, but will do so and report back. With recent versions of Fedora and the Kernel on this Laptop, since 4.14, approx, suspension has been much more reliable. The only issue I still have with this machine is its quirky Atheros wifi-BT combo controller and its realtek 1gbps NIC controllers. I will report back with exact model numbers PCI-IDs/USB-IDs, as I dot have the machine handy at the moment. Modified from default shipping is that I upgraded the drive to a WD BLUE 1TiB SSD drive instead of the supplied 1 TiB spinning drive.

Comment

On my Dell Chromebook 7310, I've installed Coreboot and F28. The suspend/resume works perfectly, as does audio, wifi, webcam, and all other hardware features of the machine. If you can live with the non-upgradable 4GB memory, it makes a very snappy portable Fedora machine. I have not tested hibernate.

My desktop is based on a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard. I have not yet tested hibernate, but it has been on my todo list for a while, as I run the machine 24/7 and I like the idea of power savings via hibernate for nights and weekends. I will try and get it configured this weekend, and report back...
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 03 October 2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

On stock Debian Buster (testing) with ASUS P5B Deluxe mainboard, Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 660, Soundblaster Audigy (EMU20k1) with 7x SSD's with BTRFS filesystem (swap on separate partitions of course) my hibernation attempts are rather "interesting". Most of the time the system refuses to hibernate for some odd reason I have not yet figured out , and other times - if it does hibernate, then restoring the system mostly works , but not always. Especially not if I have more things up than a browser. Typically stuff such as blender, audacity, codeblocks, gimp etc...
              I use a Lenovo L540 laptop at work, that one works flawlessly for suspend, but for hibernate it sometimes vary a bit.

The short and sweet version is that hibernation is unreliable generally speaking, but suspend works (for me). This is of course very biased based on just two types of computers - but I simply avoid using it (and honestly , my system would look like a mess if I did use it all the time as I don't like to quit programs )

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I have not had a hibernation issue in YEARS.
                This is on a skylake dell notebook, or an ivybridge dell notebook, or a core2 duo dell one, or even the atom acer one happy.

Comment

Fedora 28 on Acer Aspire V3-772G from 2013:
                  Code:
                  $ sudo systemctl hibernate
                  Failed to hibernate system via logind: Sleep verb not supported
                  Does not work when using secure boot apparently.

Comment

I have 48GB of ram and I don't want a 48GB swap volume so hibernation isn't an option for me.

Dell T5500
                    Dual x5687
                    48gb ram
                    Antergos
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 03 October 2018, 02:27 PM. Reason: Added system specs.

Comment

Working...
                    X