Linux Mint / Cinnamon Speeds Up Its File Manager, Updates Other Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint / Cinnamon Speeds Up Its File Manager, Updates Other Apps

Phoronix: Linux Mint / Cinnamon Speeds Up Its File Manager, Updates Other Apps

Linux Mint lead developer Clément Lefèbvrehas has issued his latest monthly update concerning the activities within this Ubuntu/Debian-derived camp and their work on the GNOME-forked Cinnamon desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice, nemo is the best file manager out there and seeing performance improvements to it makes me happy

Comment

There has also been user-interface improvements to Nemo along with the ability to show file creation times when on an EXT4 file-system with Linux 4.15 kernel and newer.
      What ??
      They managed to add the ability to show file creation times in Nemo before KDE developers adding it to Dolphin ? This in interesting.
      Finally somebody managed to add the common sense "feature" that I've been waiting for years.
      Now I wonder if this is indeed only for files and not also for folders ?
      Also I wonder if Nemo can show now the creation time on files created on my shared between Windows and Linux NTFS partition ?

I'm thinking I will give Cinnamon another try since I moved to KDE Plasma because of crashes on my Nvidia mobile GPU, but I couldn't like it too much because my favorite Cinnamon feature "Open file manager as root" is missing in Dolphin and I cannot started as root even from terminal with something like sudo dolphin and it's taking me hours on each new OS install to configure everything that I want in /opt/lampp/etc (XAMPP's configuration files for all the bundled tools) or to copy my old web projects from backup to /opt/lampp/htdocs
      or to edit multiple files in /etc with all those stupid questions about permissions.
      Also copying folders and files to some restricted folders is a pain with dolphin and most of the time I need to fallback to command line to copy it with sudo because I don't want to do a sudo chmod -R 777 on the entire /etc or /opt/lampp just co copy or edit some files which is mostly an one time only operation and then I don't have any idea how to revert all the permissions to the original values and I need to let them like that.
      Also Dolphin seems to have problems copying folders and files to flash drives, which could've been easily solved it it had this "Open as root" option on the context menu like in Cinnamon.
      Hopefully KDE developers can have a look at what the Cinnamon developers are doing good and start to implement this features in Dolphin too, because otherwise I cannot recommend Dolphin and KDE of course to anyone for using it in production environment when I know that it will lose so much time with these bad design and just recommend Nemo and Cinnamon instead.

Anyway, congrats to Cinnamon developers!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Finally somebody managed to add the common sense "feature" that I've been waiting for years.
        That's because somebody with less common sense has removed it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          What?
          Do you mean that it was possible once to see the creation date/time on Linux ?
          I have never saw it in any Linux distro and any file manager.

Comment

This is only possible since the statx syscall landed in Linux, which is the reason why this feature requires Linux 4.15 or higher as well as a filesystem which supports the syscall (i.e. Ext4)

Comment

I really hope they will make Cinnamon feel leaner and faster.
              I want it to take less resources on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                Oh dear. As others have noted, it's a new feature. Still with the conspiracy theories, huh?

Comment

What?
                  Do you mean that it was possible once to see the creation date/time on Linux ?
                  I have never saw it in any Linux distro and any file manager.
                  It is there for quite some time, but not supported in some filesystems,.. the xattrs, could be supported by some filesystems, but I think they need to be compiled with that option first.
                  Usually you don't see them in a file-system because performance, could be more important..and also because of the amount of writes to disk.. the Change time is usually used..

Comment

What ??
                    They managed to add the ability to show file creation times in Nemo before KDE developers adding it to Dolphin ? This in interesting.
                    Now I wonder if this is indeed only for files and not also for folders ?
                    Also I wonder if Nemo can show now the creation time on files created on my shared between Windows and Linux NTFS partition ?

I'm thinking I will give Cinnamon another try since I moved to KDE Plasma because of crashes on my Nvidia mobile GPU, but I couldn't like it too much because my favorite Cinnamon feature "Open file manager as root" is missing in Dolphin and I cannot started as root even from terminal with something like sudo dolphin and it's taking me hours on each new OS install to configure everything that I want in /opt/lampp/etc (XAMPP's configuration files for all the bundled tools) or to copy my old web projects from backup to /opt/lampp/htdocs
                    or to edit multiple files in /etc with all those stupid questions about permissions.
                    Also copying folders and files to some restricted folders is a pain with dolphin and most of the time I need to fallback to command line to copy it with sudo because I don't want to do a sudo chmod -R 777 on the entire /etc or /opt/lampp just co copy or edit some files which is mostly an one time only operation and then I don't have any idea how to revert all the permissions to the original values and I need to let them like that.
                    Also Dolphin seems to have problems copying folders and files to flash drives, which could've been easily solved it it had this "Open as root" option on the context menu like in Cinnamon.
                    Hopefully KDE developers can have a look at what the Cinnamon developers are doing good and start to implement this features in Dolphin too, because otherwise I cannot recommend Dolphin and KDE of course to anyone for using it in production environment when I know that it will lose so much time with these bad design and just recommend Nemo and Cinnamon instead.

Anyway, congrats to Cinnamon developers!
                    "Sees Danny3 post, open Dolphin on KDE Neon, confirm the function is already there".

Comment

Working...
                    X