Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Beta Will Be Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Beta Will Be Released Next Week

After slipping last week, the highly anticipated Fedora 29 beta release will set sail next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to Fedora 29 to move from Ubuntu because mpv here is broken because of libav which doesn't allow the latest versions of mpv to use nvdec. Nvidia's nvdec is the best option on Nvidia hardware to watch movies. I only play games 1% of my time and 99% watch movies.

If only the "new" Fedora installer wasn't so shitty.

Comment

I just did an upgrade from 28 to th3 29 prebetas and can say that so far i'm liking it. No significant issues for being a beta! I might be jumping the gun but I'm on a Ryzen Mobile laptop and that needs the newest kernels and such to continue moving forward.

By the way this is the very first time I've updated a Fedora platform via dnf. The biggest rough point was not having enough space on / for all the software I had installed. On this system I let the installed size the partitions. It might be advisable for others to double the partition size of / so that you can avoid issues a year or two down the road. I actually see this as a bug so contemplating a bug report though I'm not sure it is a bug from Fedroas perspective. The really nice thing (at least so far) is that all of my settings for various apps have been retained, sometimes that doesn't work too well.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        I'm looking forward to Fedora 29 to move from Ubuntu because mpv here is broken because of libav which doesn't allow the latest versions of mpv to use nvdec. Nvidia's nvdec is the best option on Nvidia hardware to watch movies. I only play games 1% of my time and 99% watch movies.

If only the "new" Fedora installer wasn't so shitty.
        Why not just use a ppa with a version of mpv compiled against ffmpeg? Like this one: https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

Why not just use a ppa with a version of mpv compiled against ffmpeg? Like this one: https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests
          That PPA doesn't support Ubuntu 18.10 yet, is there a way to force it using 18.04?

Comment

"highly anticipated"? nah. At this point Fedora releases are just smooth sailing with newer packages and I think that is a good thing. I don't remember a single thing that drastically changed since F25.

Comment

Also multiple anticipated features like dbus broker by default and zchunk diffing for package metadata were punted to Fedora 30 anyway

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

That PPA doesn't support Ubuntu 18.10 yet, is there a way to force it using 18.04?
                You could download the deb and install it. It might complain about it being older than what is in your repository, but there shouldn't be an issue using it. Then add the ppa when the release is official.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/mpv-...ol/main/m/mpv/

Comment

cen1 I think mostly because of Gnome 3.30 and Thunderbolt support.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                    cen1 I think mostly because of Gnome 3.30 and Thunderbolt support.
                    F28 already have thunderbolt support

Comment

Working...
                    X