Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubuntu Switching To VLC, KDE 5 LibreOffice Frontend

Phoronix: Lubuntu Switching To VLC, KDE 5 LibreOffice Frontend

Lots of changes are happening in the Lubuntu camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is a little strange that they want to port OpenBox to Mir instead of using something that works already on Wayland, like Kwin. I even thought this was the original idea anyway.

Comment

It's a good progress.

Comment

LXDE was the champion on the low RAM consumption arena, but the last time I tested LXQt on Lubuntu, it was about the same as Kubuntu, or ~450 MB. I hope they manage to find some corners to cut. KDE may be slower to start, but at 450 MB of RAM, it packs a mountain of features that are lacking on LXQt.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          LXDE was the champion on the low RAM consumption arena, but the last time I tested LXQt on Lubuntu, it was about the same as Kubuntu, or ~450 MB. I hope they manage to find some corners to cut. KDE may be slower to start, but at 450 MB of RAM, it packs a mountain of features that are lacking on LXQt.
          That sounds awful, worse than XFCE which is ~350 MB and has more features (but still lightweight).

Comment

Lubuntu is also planning to switch to Wayland ... by Lubuntu 20.10 in 2020.
            What is the hurry for? Why not wait a couple LTS releases more, or even decades for that matter? Everybody that remembered what this wayland thing was will be dead by then so they can effectively have an infinite timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

What is the hurry for? Why not wait a couple LTS releases more, or even decades for that matter? Everybody that remembered what this wayland thing was will be dead by then so they can effectively have an infinite timeframe.

Sounds too rushed. I don't think Wayland will be ready by the end of infinity

Comment

I don't care about Lubuntu but LXQT it is one of the few project where different teams joined the force to pursue a common goal!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  That sounds awful, worse than XFCE which is ~350 MB and has more features (but still lightweight).
                  I just downloaded yesterday's 18.10 snapshot, RAM consumption was about 410 MB. Better than the last time I tested but still bad.

With that said, this is more belly acking than anything. Today's machines have 8GB out of the box. Heck, even some midrange smartphones have 6GB. If a machine is so old that 1GB is the max they can afford, navigating the modern Web with a up-to-date Firefox or Chromium will be a serious problem. And the old releases will always be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    I don't care about Lubuntu but LXQT it is one of the few project where different teams joined the force to pursue a common goal!
                    Agreed. I went through some of the videos of the announcements and the work they are doing together. I really liked their cooperation and enthusiasm.

Comment

Working...
                    X