A Rolling Battle: Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. openSUSE On Four Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rolling Battle: Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. openSUSE On Four Systems

Phoronix: A Rolling Battle: Antergos vs. Clear Linux vs. openSUSE On Four Systems

With the start of a new month comes fresh benchmarks of some of the leading rolling-release Linux distributions. For kicking off September are benchmarks of the Arch-based Antergos, Intel's Clear Linux, and openSUSE Tumbleweed when testing on four distinctly different systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if someone bisected the reasons for increased performance on clear linux, in certain tests the margin is absolutely astonishing, borderline hard to believe the test is fair when you see 1/3 execution time.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      It would be nice if someone bisected the reasons for increased performance on clear linux, in certain tests the margin is absolutely astonishing, borderline hard to believe the test is fair when you see 1/3 execution time.
      It's really not something bisectable... But it seems a lot of small optimizations for the most part and something that is continuously evolving so not like easily traceable to a given build. I've done tests before of using Clear's kernel configuration on Ubuntu, using Clear's default flags, and other basic changes yet it only accounts for a portion of the differences.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OpenSuse is always one of the distros with the scarcer performance... It seems, how any other distro that aims to be general purpose, to be excessively bloated, the same that happens to any *buntu distros.

Comment

Clear Linux's kernel is available in the AUR.
          Has anyone already tested that one vs vanilla Arch kernel?

Comment

Typous:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Antergous 18.8-Rolling had the
            the performance between these tweo distributions were very close.
            (I'm not sure about "were", but it might be a typo since the "performance" is singular)

on the Threadrippper 2950X system.
            I wish you could use the real Arch for benchmarks... Time to make a easy install script...

Comment

I wonder what makes Octave so much better on OpenSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                OpenSuse is always one of the distros with the scarcer performance... It seems, how any other distro that aims to be general purpose, to be excessively bloated, the same that happens to any *buntu distros.
                General pupose binary distros are designed to be optimal, not ultimately fastest. Best general purpose distro is expected to be 'sometimes the best, but also never the worse'

Spot how OpenSUSE is worse on nearly everything, but also beats everybody in GNU OCtave

Summa summarum, none of these distros are optimal for general purpose You know, let say formula and truck are for different purpose, one is tuned to win a race on a perfect road and other is designed for tansport and to hold a lot of bagage, but none are for general purpose as something in between these extremes actually is
                Last edited by dungeon; 05 September 2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Benchmarks are just curiosities to understand differences in certain contexts, but for experience they do not affect the normal use of a PC. In addition, rolling release distributions change so quickly that already these benchmarks are old. I have always seen for example benchmarks that give ext4 faster than btrfs in data transfer and compression, but on my pc is the exact opposite. But it's nice and right that the benchmarks are done.

Comment

Does openSUSE have a bunch of expensive security mitigations not enabled yet by other distros or what.

Comment

Working...
                    X