Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solus Deploys Flatpak 1.0, Prepares For X.Org Server 1.20, Better Intel GVT Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Deploys Flatpak 1.0, Prepares For X.Org Server 1.20, Better Intel GVT Support

Phoronix: Solus Deploys Flatpak 1.0, Prepares For X.Org Server 1.20, Better Intel GVT Support

The popular Solus Linux distribution has experienced a busy week of updates but more changes are on the way to this desktop-focused OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The popular Solus Linux distribution has experienced a busy week
    should be:

Solus, a popular linux distribution, has experienced a busy week

Comment

Honestly !
      Popular ?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Honestly !
        Popular ?
        Rank 6 over the last 12 months on DistroWatch, and still in the top ten for this month. Depends on what one defines as popular.

Comment

Honestly the old video drivers are enough to keep me from even considering Solus on a gaming system. It's telling that it is basically the only desktop distro that didn't have an easy way to run Steam Play on day 1, and has had issues historically getting drivers new enough for fresh DXVK releases.

I haven't looked into custom packages but it really should be as easy as downloading the equivalent of a PKGBUILD, updating the version number and running a package script.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
            Honestly the old video drivers are enough to keep me from even considering Solus on a gaming system. It's telling that it is basically the only desktop distro that didn't have an easy way to run Steam Play on day 1, and has had issues historically getting drivers new enough for fresh DXVK releases.

I haven't looked into custom packages but it really should be as easy as downloading the equivalent of a PKGBUILD, updating the version number and running a package script.
            Let me guess, you run Arch?

Solus is a different take on a rolling release than Arch. If what you're after is a "reasonably stable and functional, just works out of the box, has sane defaults" desktop Linux OS, you could do a lot worse than Solus.

Disclaimer: I'm a small time Solus maintainer and use it exclusively on my home systems (apart from a single Windows box and a Fedora Server box for serving media with SnapRAID+MergerFS+Samba, music with Logitech Media Server and IRC via ZNC).
            Last edited by ermo; 26 August 2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

You'll be glad to hear that they are considering adding the Nvidia beta drivers into the repository; and aside from those Nvidia drivers all the video drivers are ready for Steam Play. One thing that's also still missing (not as a minimum requirement but a recommended one) is llvm 7. The Solus devs are waiting for a stable release there. Meanwhile Steam Play already works fine on my Intel GPU laptop.

Comment

Perhaps you should read the article before commenting because it clearly states that the nvidia short-lived drivers will be available soon.
                Also "old video drivers" are the latest available version of the nvidia long-lived drivers. Solus defines itself as a curated rolling release, so it is logical not to offer beta drivers by default.

It's not a race after pushing new releases as fast as possible, this is the focus of "true" rolling releases. It's about a good balance between stability and software updates. Steam Play (which is in beta) was released a few days ago and the beta nvidia drivers will be available shortly once everything has been properly tested, so I think Solus listen to its community.

And about gaming, didn't the Solus founder contribute to GameMode ? Isn't Linux Steam Integration a Solus project ?

Criticism is good when it helps improving stuffs, not when it is just for pissing off at what other people do...

Comment

The long delay for Xorg 1.19 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I believe one the maintainers said they had an issue on a single dual-graphics system. Meanwhile, the other mainstream distros had 1.19 for months at this point. For me, 1.19 was important at the time in order to use NVIDIA's Prime Sync to get rid of screen tearing.

Removing Wine Staging was also a pretty bad move (bug report). Not sure where these issues were reported at at the time; I was using it just fine up until a package update removed it. I don't like using PoL nor Lutris, and don't really care to use Steam's new thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kyrios View Post

Perhaps you should read the article before commenting because it clearly states that the nvidia short-lived drivers will be available soon.
                    Also "old video drivers" are the latest available version of the nvidia long-lived drivers. Solus defines itself as a curated rolling release, so it is logical not to offer beta drivers by default.

It's not a race after pushing new releases as fast as possible, this is the focus of "true" rolling releases. It's about a good balance between stability and software updates. Steam Play (which is in beta) was released a few days ago and the beta nvidia drivers will be available shortly once everything has been properly tested, so I think Solus listen to its community.

And about gaming, didn't the Solus founder contribute to GameMode ? Isn't Linux Steam Integration a Solus project ?

Criticism is good when it helps improving stuffs, not when it is just for pissing off at what other people do...
                    I didn't say that people in the Solus project haven't contributed to gaming. I wasn't talking about the people behind it at all. I'm saying that as a gamer, their distribution is less appealing or useful to me than Arch or even Ubuntu, as both of those allow me to get the latest drivers Nvidia releases without much hassle.

Maybe I'm just not in the target audience, but I care more that I can play the latest games that come out with Nvidia's latest optimizations than I do that the devs have individually tested the driver release and confirmed it works for them. I just want to be able to double click a game on Steam and have it work without needing to wait for driver updates to get pushed.

I'm not trying to piss off at any individual people here, I'm listing the actual reasons why I wouldn't want to use that distribution or recommend it to people for gaming systems. If the Solus devs take that personally, that's their problem, not mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X