Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Development Is Over On Ubuntu 18.10

Phoronix: Feature Development Is Over On Ubuntu 18.10

Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" is now under a feature freeze to focus on bug-fixing ahead of the October debut of this next Ubuntu Linux installment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 18.04 switched back from Wayland to Xorg because it's a Long Term Support release. Is 18.10 going back to Wayland for the default? I can't find any references either way in my web searches.

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      Ubuntu 18.04 switched back from Wayland to Xorg because it's a Long Term Support release. Is 18.10 going back to Wayland for the default? I can't find any references either way in my web searches.

Just curious.
      Haven't heard of any switch back yet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Just curious.
        I came here to ask the exact same question.

Hopefully it's Wayland. I think these non-LTS releases are best used by geeks and developers anyway; the kind of people who could easily toggle back to XOrg if Wayland was giving them insurmountable problems.

Non-LTS release are too unstable for novice end users. I always recommend the LTS releases to them.

Personally I think it would be better if Ubuntu got rid of the non-LTS releases and just had:
        • A new LTS release every 2 years (as they currently do) recommended for most people.
        • A rolling release distro which was less stable, more up to date and generally targeted at developers and enthusiasts.

Comment

cybertraveler Yes I would jump on that rolling release Ubuntu distro if it ever came out. Doing a clean install to next version of Ubuntu for better gaming performance is getting more annoying with age.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
            cybertraveler Yes I would jump on that rolling release Ubuntu distro if it ever came out. Doing a clean install to next version of Ubuntu for better gaming performance is getting more annoying with age.
            It could be something like Debian's Sid or Testing branches, but with a greater focus on stability and maintaining a coherent, usable, desktop system.

Comment

Ubuntu 18.10 has been incredible. Glad I made the early switch from 18.04 (but always a great idea to stay on an LTS, especially as solid as 18.04)

Here's the latest and greatest on 18.10 as of this post:

Desktop: GNOME Shell 3.29.90
              Display Server: X Server 1.20.0
              Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 + LLVM 6.0.1
              OpenGL: 4.5 Mesa 18.1.5 (LLVM 6.0.1)
              Display Driver: modesetting 1.20.0
              Kernel: 4.17.0-7-generic

Mesa is the only one lagging behind but I imagine by rollout it'll have 18.2. For now, you can use oibaf ppa which has cosmic 18.10 support (padoka doesn't at this time). Personally, I'm done with breaking changes in oibaf/padoka. Rather have a stable system. When Mesa hits 18.2 without a PPA, things will be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                Personally, I'm done with breaking changes in oibaf/padoka. Rather have a stable system.
                So when using those PPAs on an LTS release you have found your system to be unstable?

What graphics card do you have?

Also: did you ever try 1 of these PPAs instead?

Pkppa:
                • https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...e/ubuntu/pkppa
                • Michael described it a while back, this way: "Also known as the Stable Padoka PPA, this is a newer Padoka offering that is built against Mesa stable/RC releases. Right now this is supplying Mesa 17.3.0-rc3 built against LLVM 5.0."
                Ubuntu-X: (X + mesa only)
                • https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ubuntu/updates
                • Michael described it a while back, this way: "This is the PPA maintained by Canonical's graphics maintainers. Right now this is Mesa 17.2.4 built against LLVM 5.0.0. This PPA tends to not be too exciting but rather just new point releases of the existing Mesa series supported by Ubuntu. Ubuntu does not do major version bumps of Mesa post-release. So this repository tends to be only worthwhile if you want semi-official support and are in need of some particular fixes added in later point releases. They also don't bump the LLVM version."

Comment

AFAIK none of the upstream bugs I know which were causing problems have been fixed, so I hope not…

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

So when using those PPAs on an LTS release you have found your system to be unstable?

What graphics card do you have?

Also: did you ever try 1 of these PPAs instead?
                    Yeah my problem with oibaf is that it's on the latest, which can introduce problems. Padoka unstable suffers the same. I've had times where I do apt upgrade, and I restart my computer and I can't boot. That's what I wanted to eliminate. Normally it's silly to talk about instability when running the latest OS (non-LTS) but I find PPAs break the system more than anything. I have an RX 480, for reference.

Pkppa Padoka stable doesn't support cosmic and is only on 18.1.6
                    X-swat doesn't support cosmic either and is only on 18.1.5

So that leaves Oibaf that uses 18.3-devel and Padoka which does the same. For a while Padoka and LLVM 7 was causing issues, but that's been fixed for a while now.

Anyway, I still don't think there's a good PPA solution on Ubuntu, especially cosmic 18.10 unless you're willing to risk it with oibaf. A PPA with the latest 18.2, preferably with 18.10 cosmic support would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
                    X