Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Released For Those Not Yet Upgrading To Ubuntu 18.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Released For Those Not Yet Upgrading To Ubuntu 18.04

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Released For Those Not Yet Upgrading To Ubuntu 18.04

For those still on the Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" Long Term Support series and not yet ready to make the transition to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver", Ubuntu 16.04.5 is now available as the last planned Xenial point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Code:
    do-release-upgrade -c
    still doesn't offer me 18.04, so I'm still on 16.04.

Comment

I just checked after your post! For those of you on Ubuntu Studio 16.04, guess what if you have updated lately you should be on 16.04.5 like me. Hooray! Really solid, rock solid. Not bleeding edge like my Manjaro installation but it will do, it will do! Wonder what other 16.04 based distros have already updated repos.

Trickled down pretty fast.

Thanks for this post. 16.04 has served me well, very well.
      Last edited by creative; 02 August 2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
        Wonder what other 16.04 based distros have already updated repos.
        Unless you're referring to packages that are specific to Ubuntu Studio, the other flavors are using the same packages.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Unless you're referring to packages that are specific to Ubuntu Studio, the other flavors are using the same packages.
          no. A bit loopy right now trying to get over a cold. So I am a bit wonky at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

But some may hold back updates a bit. Just like how, for example, Manjaro holds back Arch updates for a while even though it's based on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But some may hold back updates a bit. Just like how, for example, Manjaro holds back Arch updates for a while even though it's based on Arch.
              Yes, I believe that was the point I was trying to make in that brief frame of mind that I had, followed up by some brain fog. Ahahah Manjaros updates, again, yes! Goto update, '768MB will be downloaded'. Still 100x times faster than a windows update ahahahah.

I know in the past with Ubuntu Studio that upstream updates did at times take a little while to arrive further down stream.
              Last edited by creative; 03 August 2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I want to use only Unity 7, I was running 17.04 but it was not supported anymore, so I had to upgrade to 17.10 and then 18.04. Still, I apt installed unity and lightdm and it works well. I tried multiple times but I still don't like Gnome shell 3. Especially, unity keyboard shortcut are awesome.

Comment

Flaburgan I have not tried out plain Ubuntu for quite some time. Have you tried installing XFCE? I don't know if you like or would like that windows manager. I am running a seperate installation of Manjaro XFCE edition and it is very nice and clean. I understand the appeal and asthetics of Gnome but in the end I never could bring myself to stay with it. I feel as though Gnome has complicated the interface with bells and whistles so much that it at least is a major detractor for my own personal user experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X