Arch Linux Prepares For Python 3.7, Drops OpenJDK 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    The latest version of Icedtea-web only works on JDK8 and 9. Trying to build icedtea-web against OpenJDK 10 only returns an error at ./configure.

Dropping JDK9 is asking to be slaughtered if the user does not have a spare build of JDK8 present on their installation.
    Wait what web? Java web browser plugin is officially dead if you mean that https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/jdk9_plugin.xml

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Wait what web? Java web browser plugin is officially dead if you mean that https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/jdk9_plugin.xml
      Who cares about that antiquated browser plugin?

The appliances I'm assigned to support and manage use Java Web Start for their management interface. IcedTea-web's javaws binary executable is the only thing that can be used to launch those JNLPs on a Linux box.

I'm not using the assigned Windows notebook at work because it has a bad Windows image and IT isn't allowing me to load a clean Windows installation over it, so I've taken advantage of the company's BYOD policy to use my own notebook instead.

Sure I could use Oracle's official Java binaries, but i'll prefer to use my own builds of OpenJDK and IcedTea-web as much as possible.

Comment

It seems the arch repository doesn't contain javafx 10 either? So how can they drop the old?

Comment

I think jdk8 is still present in the repos. Pycharm didn't work with jdk9 so I stopped using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Who cares about that antiquated browser plugin?

The appliances I'm assigned to support and manage use Java Web Start for their management interface. IcedTea-web's javaws binary executable is the only thing that can be used to launch those JNLPs on a Linux box.

I'm not using the assigned Windows notebook at work because it has a bad Windows image and IT isn't allowing me to load a clean Windows installation over it, so I've taken advantage of the company's BYOD policy to use my own notebook instead.

Sure I could use Oracle's official Java binaries, but i'll prefer to use my own builds of OpenJDK and IcedTea-web as much as possible.
            But if you need your laptop for work, you probably won't use Arch so this is a non-issue, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But if you need your laptop for work, you probably won't use Arch so this is a non-issue, really.
              Why wouldn't you? I'm using Archlinux at work. It has advantage of α) having a simple system to download, unpack, build something, and then assemble a package from it (i.e. a PKGBUILD), and β) it has lots of ready PKGBUILDs for different projects in AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Why wouldn't you? I'm using Archlinux at work.
                Because for a work laptop you need absolute stability?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Because for a work laptop you need absolute stability?
                  It really depends. I think AUR and PKBUILD-format have saved me much more time than I have spent or probably will spend dealing with a possible regression or even something caused by one of those prohibited "partial upgrades" (though that said, I have a good mental grasp on what can go wrong, and how to go about solving something).

Comment

Working...
                  X