OpenWRT 18.06 Released, Their First Update Since Merging With LEDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    Its about time! Just went from 15.05 to 18.06. Hopefully the next update is a bit sooner! A bit annoying its only on Linux 4.9 though, guess they just want to track the LTS branch.

It does (as per major version upgrades in the past) still reset all your packages, so reconfiguring vpns etc is a bit of a pain.
    For some (better maintained?) platforms, they're on 4.14.

The discussion surrounding which platforms were updated to 4.14 or left on 4.9 can be found on the ML if you want to educate yourself on the subject.

Comment

The OpenWRT web page, in its supported device database, does not mention 18.06, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
        What routers are you guys using (brand and model name)? Which ones are generally supported by LEDE/OpenWRT?
        A *lot* of hardware is supported, it's mostly down to how much you want to pay and what's available

Comment

What routers are you guys using (brand and model name)? Which ones are generally supported by LEDE/OpenWRT?
          There is a table with supported hardware https://openwrt.org/toh/start

In general, usually routers using Mediatek or Atheros/Qualcomm SoCs are supported well. Broadcomm SoCs usually don't have working wifi due to lack of decent opensource broadcomm wifi drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            The OpenWRT web page, in its supported device database, does not mention 18.06, yet.
            Afaik only a few obscure things were dropped, so it's still valid for 18.06

Comment

One of more interesting devices with OpenWRT support is the TP Link AC750 Wireless Travel Router (TL-WR902AC). Its small enough to stick in a pocket and run off a usb battery.

I use it when I need multiple devices connected to paid wifi and send everything over vpn so nothing is blocked, eg on a cruise ship.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

One of more interesting devices with OpenWRT support is the TP Link AC750 Wireless Travel Router (TL-WR902AC). Its small enough to stick in a pocket and run off a usb battery.

I use it when I need multiple devices connected to paid wifi and send everything over vpn so nothing is blocked, eg on a cruise ship.
                Other recommended devices for that type of usage are GL.inet minirouters. GL.inet contributes directly to OpenWrt as they use it as default firmware (with a proprietary interface) anyway. https://www.gl-inet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  There is a table with supported hardware https://openwrt.org/toh/start

In general, usually routers using Mediatek or Atheros/Qualcomm SoCs are supported well. Broadcomm SoCs usually don't have working wifi due to lack of decent opensource broadcomm wifi drivers.
                  Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. Of course, it had to be Broadcomm who doesn't cooperate. Eh... I don't like them anyway.

[Off-topic] On a side note, would you say that Mediatek also offer good support for their processors? I'm talking about the ones found in phones and tablets.

Comment

Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. Of course, it had to be Broadcomm who doesn't cooperate. Eh... I don't like them anyway.
                    Yeah, even Marvell wifi chips (that are somewhat rare) have a good opensource driver now, they improved *A LOT* from LEDE 17.0x to OpenWrt 18.06 thanks to the opensource wifi driver guy employed by Marvell.

[Off-topic] On a side note, would you say that Mediatek also offer good support for their processors? I'm talking about the ones found in phones and tablets.
                    Overall, no. Although they did open up with time and are usually providing something now.
                    They do contribute some support for the CPU and basic SoC stuff, but the issue is the GPU (usually a Mali so no open driver yet), and also usually the media decoding accelerator (which is crucial in a mobile device), plus all the other stuff like touchscreen or bluetooth or wifi or modem or whatever else is a crapshoot (as it's stuff chosen by the OEM, not Mediatek).

Comment

I have openwrt on my Linksys WRT1200AC, works flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                      X