Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 To Take Stab At Eliminating Excessive Linking

Phoronix: Fedora 30 To Take Stab At Eliminating Excessive Linking

As what was a proposal to eliminate unnecessary linking in Fedora 29 is going to be postponed to be an early change for Fedora 30...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is so exciting

Comment

How is this done in other distributions?

Comment

Fedora - welcome in 21st century. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          How is this done in other distributions?
          Clear Linux has been doing this thing for about 4 years now; we do it as a small patch to "ld" so that this is the default. What we hit with ldflags and others was too many scripts trying to reorder the flags... while just changing the default in ld was a small 3 line tweak that took care of it.

the bigger task was to fix about a dozen makefiles in the distro that got the link order wrong... but not a big deal in the bigger picture

Comment

Is this coming to Debian too?

Comment

I think I've been using that flag since it was new, over a decade ago

Comment

for someone who is not a programmer- what are the drawback of it?

Comment

i think i recall a susecon talk saying how they did a lot of this work during sle15 development.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    for someone who is not a programmer- what are the drawback of it?
                    There is a potential drawback if there exists packages that are built without explicitly telling the linker during build time that they are using exported symbols from dependencies. And you can also open a shared library in runtime and ask for a specific symbol with dlsym() which means that there also can exist packages where you cannot determine from build errors that they use symbols from a library where the library no longer exports that symbol.

Comment

Working...
                    X