No announcement yet.

Fedora 29 Is Shaping Up To Be A Very Exciting Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using fedora KDE for quite some time. I am a developer though and I don't care about details. Things work out for me and I customize my distro as I use it (global shortcuts, fix things as I go).

Nonetheless I've tried it on my new laptop and there I notice more the lack of hardware support. Fingerprint drivers don't exist, touchscreen is a mess, even on Wayland, completely useless. Screen rotation, pen support, battery life I can go on..

​​​​​So there you notice how Linux world is always lagging behind.

I've read many windows haters over here but I think that's over exaggerated. Windows 10 as of today is a perfect OS after you clean up some bloatware. You don't get the unexpected behavior you get on Linux, ever. And for new hardware such as 2-1 laptops it's a joy to use.

Windows store was horrible before but now you can even install Ubuntu on one click, customize multi tasking, virtualize environments with tons of power. Memory and battery management is flawless.

Email app on windows works flawlessly with any service you like, while Linux you get every district attempting to do its own, even thunderbird is still a memory hog program with need of external plug-ins to get anything done.

Calendar is the same, add to that you get the whatsapp app, Spotify and Twitter, you don't even have to know about flat pack or dependencies. Install and it works. And those apps integrate into the windows notification system with very small memory footprint, in Linux good luck depending on you DE. Each distro has the obligation to offer a working app for it. Edge browser is very smooth as well.

I am not a fan boy but technically speaking, I see the advantages of both, but windows is making huge steps on each update. Installing Linux on my laptop is still something I know I'm going to deal with tons of trouble. For desktop it's fine as long as I am able to dual boot for gaming, office and even browsing.
    ​​​
    Last edited by JeansenVaars; 26 July 2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
      I've been using fedora KDE for quite some time. I am a developer though and I don't care about details. Things work out for me and I customize my distro as I use it (global shortcuts, fix things as I go).

Nonetheless I've tried it on my new laptop and there I notice more the lack of hardware support. Fingerprint drivers don't exist, touchscreen is a mess, even on Wayland, completely useless. Screen rotation, pen support, battery life I can go on..
      "Laptop"

There's your problem.

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
      Windows 10 as of today is a perfect OS after you clean up some bloatware. You don't get the unexpected behavior you get on Linux, ever.
      And you get a pathetic mobile-first design, no thanks, almost as bad as GNOME. Can't even have classic theme anymore with compact titlebar and such. Last useable Windows OS was 7 since it still had ability to switch to classic theme, but XP was their best OS (obviously it's old, but engineering-wise I mean). By no means were either "perfect" though (well Linux is far from it too).

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
        There were more issues, but at that point I went back to Ubuntu.
        I like Ubuntu fine. I prefer Fedora. Your gripes are mostly true, but also mostly trivial, and mostly irrelevant. You do know that Fedora is Red Hat's testing release for RHEL? If you're looking for a Windows/OS X replacement you should stick with Ubuntu -- and you will be only slightly disappointed.

Comment

While Windows 7 was more or less OK, Windows 10 compared to previous versions seem to be a privacy nightmare trying from behind to overtake Google's Android even at this chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Yes soooooo exciting!

This time they put the number 29 on the box.
            This pretty much sums up Linux distros in general; ever "new" release is just so-called "updated" packages, I remember there was a time that Linux distros tried to innovate; back when Red Hat was still freely available I remember running that with the Ximian Gnome desktop, you had the first "live cd" distros like Knoppix, which could also be "remastered" easily, you had Peanut Linux 9.3, where the desktop background was a "live" wallpaper of a lake with waves that shimmered and it had audio voice confirmation when you performed certain tasks (what a release this was, I had it set to a sultry female voice and it was so cool when it would confirm performing certain actions), there where some Windows inspired distros, like Redmond Linux and Lindows that aimed to make configuration easier, even a few years ago you had distros that had driver management tools, like Korora Linux or Manjaro (which I currently use) but lately Linux seems to be stagnating.

As far as this piece of sit known as Fedora, it reminds me of the old joke about a classic being a book that's often quoted but rarely read; many sites sing the praises of Fedora, like Michael on this site, where he claims it's his primary workstation yet every single site, including this one, when it comes time to do a hardware review using Linux they always test with Ubuntu, why is that?

I strongly suspect that many sites, including this one, get's paid to talk up Fedora; the proof is in the pudding, if Fedora is that good why not switch to using it for all the test this site publishes?

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              Last time i tried Fedora i also had problems..
              Mostly with pulse audio though. I kept getting distorted output randomly. I don't get that in other distros.
              Installing Nvidia drivers was also more work, but it ended up working.
              But i'll try F29 for sure.
              Did the noise start when you opened something that can use TTS like Firefox or Discord?

If that's the case, if you have speech dispatcher installed, try killing the speech dispatcher process and/or uninstalling speech dispatcher entirely. I found out that piece of crap causes problems with pulseaudio, not only on Fedora but also on Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
              X