Fedora 29 Is Shaping Up To Be A Very Exciting Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
    The only thing I can give Fedora credit for is something that a lot of people aren't talking about. Beats me why. It has a repo with an OSX cross-compiler.
    Actually Fedoras repo is pretty nice for a developer. It doesn't matter if you are targeting a PIC, an ARM chip or OS/X they have stuff in the repo to help you out.

Comment

Guys, this has been an interesting discussion but all I can say is that Fedroa own out for me. In the end each of us has to choose the best distro for their personal needs.

In my case I moved from a stolen Mac OS based laptop top to a AMD Ryzen mobile based system which had a very long period of not working well under any distro. That I expected and as a result ran Windows in the interim. Let me tell you Windows 10 is pretty bad. Fedora for example connects to most WiFi access points almost as fast as Mac OS with maybe a little less reliability. Windows 10 required hand holding through most WiFi connects. Since stability was a long time coming I actually tried out a number of Linux distros. and frankly Fedroa ended up leaving me with the best feel for a work station.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        [...] and frankly Fedroa ended up leaving me with the best feel for a work station.
        I said the same after removing Gnome and jumped on Xfce. The years after, I ended up only downloading the netinstall images or went through a straight yum/dnf upgrade with Xfce (and own Xfce RPM files).

Ever noticed that: After removing all of Gnome (and stripping down Fedora by removing further cruft and masking several unnecessary started services) and installing Xfce, that Fedora ends up booting in 1/3 rd of the time that Gnome ends up requiring (with plain Workstation images).

I was able to reduce a 2 minutes Gnome boot into GDM to 38 seconds by only removing junk.
        With Xfce installed the entire boot requires exactly 12 seconds (just by switching from Gnome to Xfce).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          We take note about how hard you try to not sound like a Windows shill by pretending you can't just open Task manager on the PC you are using to post this. /sarcasm

Since I'm not burdened by your role I can tell that, most Win10 systems use between 1.2 and 1.5 GB of RAM just after startup as long as there are 3 or more GB of RAM (if you have less it will of course limit itself). Shown by Task Manager anyway.
          Yeah I'm such a Windows shill as evidenced by the fact I was not aware it can actually use more than 1GB of RAM, because the only use of W10 I've ever touched was in a Virtual Machine with 2GB of RAM assigned to it (and in this case apparently it uses 1GB or so only).

I think it's hilarious it uses up more RAM if you have more to spare. It's my RAM, it needs to get its hands off it, dammit. (and no, there's a huge difference between "used RAM" and "free RAM", with the latter meaning available RAM, even if it's used for caching, it still does not show up as "used", because "available" RAM is what's important -- "used RAM" means "unavailable for allocation").
          Last edited by Weasel; 25 July 2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
            Fonts are ugly. Subpixel rendering is disabled by default, because reasons. I had to enable third-party repos, replace the font rendering engine and carry out some tweaks, and finally I ended up with something which was better than the default… but still didn't look as good as the default Ubuntu install.

Even after applying the fixes stated above, I have to change font scaling in the Gnome tweak tool each time after changing the subpixel rendering options, otherwise the changes are not taken into effect. This is just another bug.

One more thing about the fonts. RGB subpixel font smoothing effectively gives you 3 times the horizontal resolution of the screen. So if you are using a 'Full HD' (1080p) monitor like most people do, you get 1920 * 3 = 5760 subpixels. However if you have a '4K' screen, the horizontal resolution is 3840. That means that you get *more* resolution on 1080p with subpixel smoothing enabled than on 4K screen without. But the Fedora powers that be decided that you get the lower resolution, and you oblige.
            I'm not sure what is up with Fonts in Fedora. I hear of some people not liking the defaults, but when I try to change to RGB from Grayscale, I get subtle (best case) or very noticeable (on one display) color fringing on every display I've tried. Not really sure if the overall font looks better, but the color fringe is too noticeable for me to bother with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              Last time i tried Fedora i also had problems..
              Mostly with pulse audio though. I kept getting distorted output randomly. I don't get that in other distros.
              Installing Nvidia drivers was also more work, but it ended up working.
              But i'll try F29 for sure.
              all you had to of done was Disable Pulseaudio crap an just use Alsa. ,

Comment

Originally posted by jeffgus View Post

Oh? Where do I find it? URL?
                It used to live here: http://build1.vanpienbroek.nl/fedora...s-darwinx.repo but it's dead
                Then it lived here http://build1.openftd.org/fedora-cross-darwinx/ but it's also dead
                And every link in this article is also dead https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW...pilerFramework

You might want to stab the guy in the ribs, maybe he'll wake up and renew those DNS leases.
                Maybe this archive.is/78EYL or this http://www.appbox.info/ can help

Comment

Users who are used to Ubuntu who want to try out other distributions such as Fedora, openSUSE, Manjaro etc. you should realize that initially they may not be comfortable, because they are different distributions and when we use new things they are always difficult.
                  For the problem of fonts and codecs, I remember that there are patents that should not be violated, some distributions are pushed to the limit, others consider remaining in the law.
                  I went from Ubuntu to openSUSE over a year ago and at the beginning of course I had to understand how it worked suse, but now if I have to do a new installation I use really just a few minutes to configure everything.
                  Also I do not think that every day you have to install the distribution, so some complaints to me seem excessive. I thank all those who make the Linux ecosystem possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

all you had to of done was Disable Pulseaudio crap an just use Alsa. ,
                    Some applications like Firefox can nor run by default with Pulseaudio disabled and with default on ALSA.
                    Actually with Firefox users have some luck, ALSA support can easy be re-enabled at compilation with some flags (--disable-pulseaudio --enable-alsa)

Unfortunately Fedora derivate, Korrora is no longer available anymore, was discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                      I went from Ubuntu to openSUSE over a year ago and at the beginning of course I had to understand how it worked suse, but now if I have to do a new installation I use really just a few minutes to configure everything.
                      As in other cases, open source codecs for proprietary [video, audio] formats are available from third party repos. Once added those repositories, upgrades from a version to a next one, usually goes off without a hitch. Proprietary formats continue to be supported. Of course transition from Ubuntu to other distro require some effort but it's not impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X