Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimal Ubuntu Can Boot Faster, But Still Not The Fastest Booting On Amazon EC2 Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimal Ubuntu Can Boot Faster, But Still Not The Fastest Booting On Amazon EC2 Cloud

Phoronix: Minimal Ubuntu Can Boot Faster, But Still Not The Fastest Booting On Amazon EC2 Cloud

Canonical today released new Ubuntu Minimal images for cloud computing. The new images are half the size of the traditional Ubuntu Server and are said to boot up to 40% faster, so I decided to run a quick Amazon EC2 Linux distribution boot time comparison today.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this calculated with the new TRIM spam and randomly firing cron jobs during bootup, or the good old vanilla behavior?

Comment

I would have enjoyed seeing CoreOS and RancherOS in the benchmarks as well, since they're container OSes which might make sense to use in an autoscaling environment.

Comment

Alpine Linux is taking the Docker world by storm. It is also a full OS, but uses musl instead of glibc.

I'm sure it would make an interesting comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          Alpine Linux is taking the Docker world by storm. It is also a full OS, but uses musl instead of glibc.

I'm sure it would make an interesting comparison.
          Alpine is mostly used as the base OS of the image used to create the container, not the host OS

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post

Alpine is mostly used as the base OS of the image used to create the container, not the host OS
            As is this new Minimal Ubuntu we're talking about. I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Comment

Originally posted by Slithery View Post

As is this new Minimal Ubuntu we're talking about. I'm not quite sure what your point is.
              The boot time is irelevant when run in a container. Ubuntu Minimal is quote fitting for a container host as well and not just as a base image in docker.

As said rancher and core os would have been interesting. The are also a couple of questions these numbers create:

What the heck is happening with SUSE?
              Why is there such a big regression from 16.04 to 18.04?

​​

Comment

Those boot times are laughable. I fire off a lot of full-blown KVM's for some of my work and they boot in less than a second (OK, maybe 2 seconds for some slow kernels) regardless of distro. I use busybox as the init system and that makes the most difference of anything you can do (unless you have a particularly slow-to-init piece of hardware).
                Last edited by linner; 10 July 2018, 07:11 AM. Reason: "OS" when I meant "distro"... need coffee

Comment

No, You can run Apline linux as a host OS too. It uses OpenRC as a process manager.
                  I just wanted to know, that since it uses musl instead of glibc, we already know how compatibility/reliability compares (ito compat, it has issues. reliability does seem rock-solid), but there is very little info re performance.

If I have to make my first premium request Michael it would be this.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    No, You can run Apline linux as a host OS too. It uses OpenRC as a process manager.
                    I just wanted to know, that since it uses musl instead of glibc, we already know how compatibility/reliability compares (ito compat, it has issues. reliability does seem rock-solid), but there is very little info re performance.

If I have to make my first premium request Michael it would be this.
                    I was actually planning to run Alpine tests here but when looking in the AMI marketplace I didn't see Alpine available and didn't spend much time searching or looking at options since this was just a quick one page article. Is it on EC2 somewhere or need to do like a custom image?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X