Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horizonbrave
    replied
    I think we have enough GTK based desktops.. I guess we should focus on the others could so that they could thrive again (yes Gnome, you too).

And I just found this article:
    7 Things elementary OS Does Terribly Wrong in 2018!
    Last edited by horizonbrave; 12 August 2018, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I can't remember the first 2 issues, but the third was with the app store and package management. I didn't like it and so I installed a different package manager and when the package would install I got some obtuse error that package installs using this method are no longer supported in Loki. I looked up the error and it appeared a few others Loki testers were getting the same error. To support it I had to enter a some CLI to re-activate that process and it worked. Packages could install as before. I took this as a desire of the Elementary devs to limit package installs to only what was available in their app garden.

Sorry I am not being more specific, as it was a few moons ago.

I had Elementary on 4 different systems at one time, now I am down to a single partition, which admittedly I haven't booted in many months.

Sorry I'm late to respond. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Interesting. I do all of my package management from the command line, which is a mixed blessing. The good part is that it usually does what I want and does it quickly. But then when a friend or relative has to install something on their own machine, I have to look up the GUI way to do it myself first before walking them through it.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    I am interested in their application development model but I wish they would support shipping them outside of their own app store. And the github requirement is atrocious.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

What did they remove from Loki that you liked? I'm a power user and I didn't have any issues.
    I can't remember the first 2 issues, but the third was with the app store and package management. I didn't like it and so I installed a different package manager and when the package would install I got some obtuse error that package installs using this method are no longer supported in Loki. I looked up the error and it appeared a few others Loki testers were getting the same error. To support it I had to enter a some CLI to re-activate that process and it worked. Packages could install as before. I took this as a desire of the Elementary devs to limit package installs to only what was available in their app garden.

Sorry I am not being more specific, as it was a few moons ago.

I had Elementary on 4 different systems at one time, now I am down to a single partition, which admittedly I haven't booted in many months.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    I don't want to start a flame war but to me as a developer using GTK based distros and apps feels like investing time in something outdated. Linux for me is all about contributing and creating, and I want to develop using modern, future-proof tools. Not saying that Qt is especially modern compared to the toolkits on Windows and macOS but it still beats GTK in that area.
    I haven't dived into GTK code. But the toolkit keeps getting new releases and it has partial (full?) Wayland support. So I don't think it's stuck in the past. It may be behind Qt or other equivalents, I'm not in a position to judge. From my perspective, though, as long as it's not simply rotting away without updates it's fine.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    I was pretty up on Elementary and contributed cash to their efforts, but then Loki came out. Noticed how the devs started removing certain functions that typical Linux people use in the name of "usability and simplicity". After re-adding my third function, I pretty much moved on and haven't booted it in awhile.

I will give Juno a spin and see what has changed. I like Elementary's approach to the desktop, but I still want to access some power functions without having to go back and undo what the devs have done.
    What did they remove from Loki that you liked? I'm a power user and I didn't have any issues.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    I was pretty up on Elementary and contributed cash to their efforts, but then Loki came out. Noticed how the devs started removing certain functions that typical Linux people use in the name of "usability and simplicity". After re-adding my third function, I pretty much moved on and haven't booted it in awhile.

I will give Juno a spin and see what has changed. I like Elementary's approach to the desktop, but I still want to access some power functions without having to go back and undo what the devs have done.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Weren't ElemetaryOS the only people using vala?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    What's wrong with the GTK stuff? As an end user of Elementary that never looked at or worked with the code, everything was excellent.
    I don't want to start a flame war but to me as a developer using GTK based distros and apps feels like investing time in something outdated. Linux for me is all about contributing and creating, and I want to develop using modern, future-proof tools. Not saying that Qt is especially modern compared to the toolkits on Windows and macOS but it still beats GTK in that area.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by msotirov View Post
    If it weren't for all the GTK stuff, I'd be all over Elementary by now.
    What's wrong with the GTK stuff? As an end user of Elementary that never looked at or worked with the code, everything was excellent.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If it weren't for all the GTK stuff, I'd be all over Elementary by now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X