Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elementary OS Juno Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: Elementary OS Juno Beta 1 Released

For fans of the desktop-focused, easy-to-use, and elegantly designed Elementary OS Linux distribution, their beta of the upcoming 5.0 "Juno" is now available for public testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dumb question, will you be able to upgrade to the finished version when it's released from an beta install?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
      Dumb question, will you be able to upgrade to the finished version when it's released from an beta install?
      Per the Medium post linked from the article, "And while we do our best to make the update process smooth, you will likely not have as good of an experience updating from Beta as installing the final release."

The Medium post makes it clear this beta is for app developers and advanced users, not really for regular end user installation. I would have called it an alpha, then, to make the purpose clearer.

I used Elementary OS for a while and liked it a lot, it was very stable. I switched off because I thought my video card was giving me problems due to bugs in the Elementary drivers. After the same video card gave me problems in two Linux distributions and in Windows 10 across two desktops, I figured out the problem was the card. But then I was too lazy to reinstall Elementary.
      Last edited by Michael_S; 03 July 2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
        I don't know specially for this version, but that's why i'm not on Elementary (i was on for 2 years). Upgrades between versions wasn't supported and if you install beta version, even if you'll install the latests upgrades, you'll stay on beta version...

Comment

If it weren't for all the GTK stuff, I'd be all over Elementary by now.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            If it weren't for all the GTK stuff, I'd be all over Elementary by now.
            What's wrong with the GTK stuff? As an end user of Elementary that never looked at or worked with the code, everything was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              What's wrong with the GTK stuff? As an end user of Elementary that never looked at or worked with the code, everything was excellent.
              I don't want to start a flame war but to me as a developer using GTK based distros and apps feels like investing time in something outdated. Linux for me is all about contributing and creating, and I want to develop using modern, future-proof tools. Not saying that Qt is especially modern compared to the toolkits on Windows and macOS but it still beats GTK in that area.

Comment

Weren't ElemetaryOS the only people using vala?
                Hi

Comment

I was pretty up on Elementary and contributed cash to their efforts, but then Loki came out. Noticed how the devs started removing certain functions that typical Linux people use in the name of "usability and simplicity". After re-adding my third function, I pretty much moved on and haven't booted it in awhile.

I will give Juno a spin and see what has changed. I like Elementary's approach to the desktop, but I still want to access some power functions without having to go back and undo what the devs have done.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                    I don't want to start a flame war but to me as a developer using GTK based distros and apps feels like investing time in something outdated. Linux for me is all about contributing and creating, and I want to develop using modern, future-proof tools. Not saying that Qt is especially modern compared to the toolkits on Windows and macOS but it still beats GTK in that area.
                    I haven't dived into GTK code. But the toolkit keeps getting new releases and it has partial (full?) Wayland support. So I don't think it's stuck in the past. It may be behind Qt or other equivalents, I'm not in a position to judge. From my perspective, though, as long as it's not simply rotting away without updates it's fine.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    I was pretty up on Elementary and contributed cash to their efforts, but then Loki came out. Noticed how the devs started removing certain functions that typical Linux people use in the name of "usability and simplicity". After re-adding my third function, I pretty much moved on and haven't booted it in awhile.

I will give Juno a spin and see what has changed. I like Elementary's approach to the desktop, but I still want to access some power functions without having to go back and undo what the devs have done.
                    What did they remove from Loki that you liked? I'm a power user and I didn't have any issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X