Elementary OS Juno Beta 1 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

What did they remove from Loki that you liked? I'm a power user and I didn't have any issues.
    I can't remember the first 2 issues, but the third was with the app store and package management. I didn't like it and so I installed a different package manager and when the package would install I got some obtuse error that package installs using this method are no longer supported in Loki. I looked up the error and it appeared a few others Loki testers were getting the same error. To support it I had to enter a some CLI to re-activate that process and it worked. Packages could install as before. I took this as a desire of the Elementary devs to limit package installs to only what was available in their app garden.

Sorry I am not being more specific, as it was a few moons ago.

I had Elementary on 4 different systems at one time, now I am down to a single partition, which admittedly I haven't booted in many months.

Comment

I am interested in their application development model but I wish they would support shipping them outside of their own app store. And the github requirement is atrocious.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I can't remember the first 2 issues, but the third was with the app store and package management. I didn't like it and so I installed a different package manager and when the package would install I got some obtuse error that package installs using this method are no longer supported in Loki. I looked up the error and it appeared a few others Loki testers were getting the same error. To support it I had to enter a some CLI to re-activate that process and it worked. Packages could install as before. I took this as a desire of the Elementary devs to limit package installs to only what was available in their app garden.

Sorry I am not being more specific, as it was a few moons ago.

I had Elementary on 4 different systems at one time, now I am down to a single partition, which admittedly I haven't booted in many months.

Sorry I'm late to respond. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Interesting. I do all of my package management from the command line, which is a mixed blessing. The good part is that it usually does what I want and does it quickly. But then when a friend or relative has to install something on their own machine, I have to look up the GUI way to do it myself first before walking them through it.

Comment

I think we have enough GTK based desktops.. I guess we should focus on the others could so that they could thrive again (yes Gnome, you too).

And I just found this article:
          7 Things elementary OS Does Terribly Wrong in 2018!
          Last edited by horizonbrave; 12 August 2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X