Linux Mint 19 Officially Released With Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce Editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 19 Officially Released With Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce Editions

Phoronix: Linux Mint 19 Officially Released With Cinnamon, MATE & Xfce Editions

The Linux Mint crew has delivered on their goal of shipping Linux Mint 19 "Tara" in June...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can I upgrade without reinstalling?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Yes, but for now only manually. For that just change the repository settings in the apt list file "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list". For the Ubuntu sources you need to change xenial to bionic and for the Linux Mint sources sylvia to tara. Then do a sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade.

Any PPAs should be disabled/deinstalled before.

At some point later, the Linux Mint team will also provide an upgrade option in the update manager, if testing the upgrade works out.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        HiDIP

Comment

Originally posted by TuxTuxTux View Post

Yes, but for now only manually. For that just change the repository settings in the apt list file "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list". For the Ubuntu sources you need to change xenial to bionic and for the Linux Mint sources sylvia to tara. Then do a sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade.

At some point later, the Linux Mint team will also provide an upgrade option in the update manager, if testing the upgrade works out.
          Sounds risky. @Dukenukemx, I'd be sure to have a backup of important data first. A lot of things can break when manually doing a blind update with apt. At least, I've broken a lot of systems when doing a manual full upgrade with apt.

Comment

Excellent thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Sounds risky. @Dukenukemx, I'd be sure to have a backup of important data first. A lot of things can break when manually doing a blind update with apt. At least, I've broken a lot of systems when doing a manual full upgrade with apt.
              That's my plan. My HTPC which is like the main PC in my home will probably get a clean reinstall. I've done too many stupid things to it and I feel it needs a clean reinstall. But I've got a lot of other Linux Mint machines around my home too that need to upgrade.

Comment

I don't recommend it at all, you will, and I repeat you will experience some serious wonkyness. I stopped trying that several years ago, and on more than one distro. Your current install will be like a drugged chimpanzee pulling all the wrong bananas. Always do a fresh install of a new version of a distribution. What will happen is stuff won't be normal no stuff wont be normal. Your current install is acres of banana trees pristine.. banana trees. After your upgrade from your current install you will go to get a banana, but instead a chimpanzee will hand you what looks like a banana but is actually yellow painted turd.
                Last edited by creative; 29 June 2018, 09:05 PM. Reason: stay away from chimpanzees

Comment

That's my plan. My HTPC which is like the main PC in my home will probably get a clean reinstall. I've done too many stupid things to it and I feel it needs a clean reinstall. But I've got a lot of other Linux Mint machines around my home too that need to upgrade.
                  Already decided, good. Saving yourself some annoyance.

Comment

Don't do this. There is a lot more to the upgrade than just changing ppa's. Most notably is the Display Manager change. If you follow this instruction you will most likely end up with a very broken environment.

Wait a couple of days and wait for the upgrade instructions.

To answer you original question. Yes there will be a properly documented upgrade method very soon. If it's not there already.

Comment

Working...
                    X