Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yum Set To Be Retired In Fedora 29

Phoronix: Yum Set To Be Retired In Fedora 29

While DNF has been serving as the "next-gen Yum" by default since Fedora 22, Yum 3 has still been present in releases since. But with Fedora 29 they are looking to deprecate and remove Yum...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While dnf did seem faster initially, for the past year or so, it's been a total dog. I've just done a rather unscientific "time sudo dnf search postgres" and it took 3m24s. It spent most of that time churning the disk. My LVM PV is LUKS encrypted but still.

Comment

I wonder if this means that "/etc/yum.repos.d/" will stop being the default repo location. (Though I'm sure it will have to be supported in the path for several versions to come, for backward compatibility.)

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
        I wonder if this means that "/etc/yum.repos.d/" will stop being the default repo location. (Though I'm sure it will have to be supported in the path for several versions to come, for backward compatibility.)
        dnf reads that path and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          There was already discussion in Fedora community about that and proposition to drop "yum." -> "/etc/repos.d". Long story short "/etc/yum.repos.d/" will stay with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            While dnf did seem faster initially, for the past year or so, it's been a total dog.
            I made the same experiences. DNF became quite slow. Slower than YUM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

I made the same experiences. DNF became quite slow. Slower than YUM.
              Anything you can benchmark and file a report on?

Comment

They should keep the command itself, redirected to dnf, because of muscle memory.

Comment

While dnf did seem faster initially, for the past year or so, it's been a total dog. I've just done a rather unscientific "time sudo dnf search postgres" and it took 3m24s. It spent most of that time churning the disk. My LVM PV is LUKS encrypted but still.
                  Fedora Server 28, XFS, "real" hardware (about 2 months old):
                  | sudo dnf search postgres
                  | Time: 2.097s total time, 1.96s user time, 0.12s kernel time
                  | Disk: 0 major page faults (pages loaded from disk)
                  | System: 99% CPU used, 112 MB max memory used

Fedora Workstation 28, ext4, KVM image (upgraded from Fedora 27, about 9 months old):
                  | Time: 1.013s total time, 0.88s user time, 0.12s kernel time
                  | System: 98% CPU used, 119 MB max memory used

Fedora Workstation 27, ext4, "real" hardware (about 9 months old):
                  | Time: 0.996s total time, 0.82s user time, 0.14s kernel time
                  | Disk: 8 major page faults (pages loaded from disk)
                  | System: 96% CPU used, 117 MB max memory used

Fedora Workstation 27, ext4, KVM image (about 14 months old):
                  | Time: 1.735s total time, 1.44s user time, 0.27s kernel time
                  | System: 98% CPU used, 124 MB max memory used

I could go back farther, but I don't think I'm going to get significantly different results...are you sure it's DNF that is the problem?

Comment

There's something horribly broken with your system. Here's mine:

Code:
                    $ time sudo dnf search postgres
                    real    0m0.925s
                    user    0m0.818s
                    sys     0m0.100s

Comment

Working...
                    X