Ubuntu Developers Working On Improvements To GNOME Software Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grok View Post

Ubuntu doesn't need much documentation to do some configuration like that, if you know to use the shell and a few apt commands.
    e.g. you can simply remove network-manager with apt-get and this won't break your system (you should just know how to set up the simplest of set ups and know what eth0 is now called), at least if it's for a desktop with an RJ45 cable.
    Installing a login manager or window manager will set it up (unless it doesn't, but you should be able to fall back on what you were using). The .deb packages have much autoconfiguration (but you may not be aware, or forget about the dpkg-reconfigure command that can set things up again)

This didn't work when doing apt-get remove plymouth. It's the splash screen, and I figured it was useless. The command prompted to remove every single package and I resisted any curiosity to acquiesce.

While I use Ubuntu Studio it's not really Ubuntu like you would think it is, its already pretty stripped down and very efficient. A digital audio workstation depends on a special type of tailoring. I just take it steps further.

After removing the network manager I edited /etc/network/interface and setup my own configuration. If I want to kill my net interface I use ifdown interface and ifup interface to bring it backup. Unless its graphics oriented like games or audio applications I use the command line a ton. I enjoy using the command line, but I also grew up with a Commodore 64 so go figure.

Comment

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers to get rid of NetworkManager and systemd.network on non-wireless. Good old ifupdown works great in that situation. Static IP is nice so you don't have to bother with DHCP.

Comment

I hope they write all their patches in Python so they make it TEH FASTEST

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
          Interesting, my philosophy of Ubuntu and its derivative distributions are pick your flavor. Then start stripping it down to the rails post install, rip out the network manager, blacklist unwanted modules. Don't use the video drivers from the packaging system, edit xorg.conf and vaporize your choice of symbolic links systemd is connected to and lastly keep your system up to date via apt only. Of coarse I have had good experience with synaptic too.
          Sounds like you'd better move to Debian or some other from-scratch distro...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            This is very similar to the approach you would have when dealing with Windows, but on Linux you can also go the other way, and actually install only the things you want, and configure them how you like them. That's more efficient, you learn more about what goes where, and imho it is a more "Linux" way of creating an OS made to your liking.

I suggest to check out Arch Linux. Not to say you can't do what you want with Ubuntu too, just that Arch was designed for this kind of customization and user control over the system from the start, so they have (much) better documentation in their wiki, mostly manual installation process, and most packages are shipped with upstream default settings with little or no distro-specific modification.

Gentoo distro is similar, but you also have control over the compile process of the packages.
            If you want to learn about what stuff goes where, then neither of those distros is good. Slackware and, even more so, LFS are much better for learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Sounds like you'd better move to Debian or some other from-scratch distro...
              Strangely enough I have not taken a liking to Debian. Eventually may spend more time with Arch. Actually am waiting on the next version of Slackware. I am using Manjaro as well and it's actually a really nice distribution. Will most likely have three different distributions installed. So for now Ubuntu Studio and Manjaro are what I like to use, mainly Ubuntu Studio.

Everybody has their reasons for what distributions they like most. Void, liked it, Solus 3, another nice distro, but like Void I did not stay with it. Void by far I liked the most out of the 5 latest distros I tried. Manjaro stayed with me it required the least work for what I want to get accomplished pertaining to software and its base install, was incredibly impressed.

Not feeling like customizing something like I have with Ubunut Studio, unless its Slackware and even it does not require that much customization. It's main hurdle with me is getting all the software I want built on it which I have done before. 14.2 has issues after install with my hardware at kernel level. All provided kernels....nope. Of course I am using a Kaby lake processor and that is most likely why.

Right now I am at a point in my productivity where messing with distributions has came to a halt. Ubuntu Studio 16.04 install will most likely remain installed for the next 3 years. I really did not need to do all that customizing but I like to get things just right before I lock it in place. I am really really knit picky with how I have stuff setup. I like my grub displaying at my monitors native resolution, to be honest thats way too picky.

Last but not least Ustudio gets it's networking disabled to insure absolute lowest latency and fewest issues possible, that is what I call locking it in place, disabling the network interface at boot. Should I feel I need to update for some reason which I doubt I will, this no network state reminds me to backup current things in production, before I renable the network card and net setup.
              Last edited by creative; 27 June 2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

Strangely enough I have not taken a liking to Debian. Eventually may spend more time with Arch. Actually am waiting on the next version of Slackware. I am using Manjaro as well and it's actually a really nice distribution. Will most likely have three different distributions installed. So for now Ubuntu Studio and Manjaro are what I like to use, mainly Ubuntu Studio.

Everybody has their reasons for what distributions they like most. Void, liked it, Solus 3, another nice distro, but like Void I did not stay with it. Void by far I liked the most out of the 5 latest distros I tried. Manjaro stayed with me it required the least work for what I want to get accomplished pertaining to software and its base install, was incredibly impressed.

Not feeling like customizing something like I have with Ubunut Studio, unless its Slackware and even it does not require that much customization. It's main hurdle with me is getting all the software I want built on it which I have done before. 14.2 has issues after install with my hardware at kernel level. All provided kernels....nope. Of course I am using a Kaby lake processor and that is most likely why.

Right now I am at a point in my productivity where messing with distributions has came to a halt. Ubuntu Studio 16.04 install will most likely remain installed for the next 3 years. I really did not need to do all that customizing but I like to get things just right before I lock it in place. I am really really knit picky with how I have stuff setup. I like my grub displaying at my monitors native resolution, to be honest thats way too picky.

Last but not least Ustudio gets it's networking disabled to insure absolute lowest latency and fewest issues possible, that is what I call locking it in place, disabling the network interface at boot. Should I feel I need to update for some reason which I doubt I will, this no network state reminds me to backup current things in production, before I renable the network card and net setup.
                Not sure why Kaby Lake would be problematic. This laptop (that arrived last week) has Kaby Lake R and Solus works fine on it. No kernel tweaking needed, so I'm guessing Slackware should work fine as well (but I've never used it before, not even on previous laptops). So if Kaby Lake R is not problematic, then why would the original be?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure why Kaby Lake would be problematic. This laptop (that arrived last week) has Kaby Lake R and Solus works fine on it. No kernel tweaking needed, so I'm guessing Slackware should work fine as well (but I've never used it before, not even on previous laptops). So if Kaby Lake R is not problematic, then why would the original be?
                  Had no problems with Solus. Solus was great. Was going to have to take some steps to get my sound working like I want it did work just fine for regular gaming and media playback. At the time I had other distros to check out.

All Slackware kernels would hang displaying a warning about the processor and there is something also like nvidiafb at the bottom of the kernel hang. Also with Slackware I am waiting off for the reason of more updated packages some slackers said 14.2 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Generelly when I installed Slack I had zero kernel issues at boot. The dvd checked out with no errors. So nothing was messed up. Praise Bob!

Comment

Slackware is not bleeding edge but its ripping fast. They generally build versions that are somewhat behind but once you get an install and start compiling software if they don't have the packages you want everything is awesome for doing that, provided you do research on your end. When I installed Void I was thinking woe, blast from the past very Slack like, void at it's current state does need a bit of work. They lost a key developer.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Then you can still hate Canonical then for not doing something you like.
                      Be happy, hate Canonical!
                      I think the 1% market share that Linux have tells that I'm not the only one.

Comment

Working...
                      X