Fedora Core OS: The New Upstream To Red Hat's CoreOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Gnome 3 is just absolute sh*t in comparison. Anyone who disagrees, I can only assume has simply never used a version of Gnome 2 from its hay day
    I've used both. Gnome 2 and today Mate are bad copies of Windows 95. Gnome 3 requires some tweaks to suit my taste but in the end is better in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      Gosh, I remember using Fedora Core (I think the version pictured is 4, but it could be 3. Hard to tell without seeing the RHEL3 Bluecurve metacity theme) back in university. I remember thinking that the UI was really slick. To be fair, that thought still holds today.

I would give anything for Linux desktops to evolve into something like this. Just remember how snappy Linux used to feel.

This could be the new desktop environment for the post SMT / Hyperthreading era

I have to say it. Gnome 3 is just absolute sh*t in comparison. Anyone who disagrees, I can only assume has simply never used a version of Gnome 2 from its hay day
      Budgie, TDE and Xfce are all pretty much what you describe, so no need for yet another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

I've used both. Gnome 2 and today Mate are bad copies of Windows 95. Gnome 3 requires some tweaks to suit my taste but in the end is better in every way.
        GNOME 2 has a menu bar on top with Applications and Places and a dock-like taskbar at the bottom, I don't see that anywhere in Win 95. If anything, it's closer to AmigaOS 3.9/4.x.

Comment

Not really sure how all the DE discussion is relevant to this new Fedora release, but doesn't this seem like a shift away from linux paradigms like signed repos towards the windows model of an immutable OS and acquiring software via 3rd parties like dockerhub?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
            Not really sure how all the DE discussion is relevant to this new Fedora release, but doesn't this seem like a shift away from linux paradigms like signed repos towards the windows model of an immutable OS and acquiring software via 3rd parties like dockerhub?
            Hard to say at the moment, i willl have to do a lot of reading to determine if this path makes sense for my use case. That being an engineering work station type setup with little in the way of server features.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
              Partially, yes. The move towards Flatpak and friends is driven by a couple of factors - one, the security of being able to run apps in sandboxed containers, and two, the ability to run the latest versions of apps without being limited by compatibility with stock libraries.

Hypothetical example - let's say I want to run the latest version of Darktable, but it doesn't work on the current Fedora, because it depends on new Gtk+ APIs that aren't shipping in distros yet. With the traditional model, the only thing I can do is manually build everything from source, and install it to some non-system directory. With a Flatpak-style approach, I can just install the latest version of the app, and it will drag in a newer version of Gtk+ if needed, installing it in such a way that it can be re-used by other Flatpak-apps, but without affecting the system installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                GNOME 2 has a menu bar on top with Applications and Places and a dock-like taskbar at the bottom, I don't see that anywhere in Win 95. If anything, it's closer to AmigaOS 3.9/4.x.
                Oh yes, put a bar at another screen edge and suddenly the entire usage metaphor changesā€¦ šŸ¤£

Comment

Working...
                X