Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Core OS: The New Upstream To Red Hat's CoreOS

Phoronix: Fedora Core OS: The New Upstream To Red Hat's CoreOS

Not to be confused with Fedora Core going back to the early days of Fedora as a Red Hat project, but Fedora Project Leader Matthew Miller has just announced Fedora CoreOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

confuse

Comment

Gosh, I remember using Fedora Core (I think the version pictured is 4, but it could be 3. Hard to tell without seeing the RHEL3 Bluecurve metacity theme) back in university. I remember thinking that the UI was really slick. To be fair, that thought still holds today.

I would give anything for Linux desktops to evolve into something like this. Just remember how snappy Linux used to feel.

This could be the new desktop environment for the post SMT / Hyperthreading era

I have to say it. Gnome 3 is just absolute sh*t in comparison. Anyone who disagrees, I can only assume has simply never used a version of Gnome 2 from its hay day
      Last edited by kpedersen; 20 June 2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Gosh, I remember using Fedora Core (I think the version pictured is 4,y but it could be 3. Hard to tell without seeing the RHEL3 Bluecurve metacity theme) back in university. I remember thinking that the UI was really slick. To be fair, that thought still holds today.

I would give anything for Linux desktops to evolve into something like this. Just remember how snappy Linux used to feel.

This could be the new desktop environment for the post SMT / Hyperthreading era

I have to say it. Gnome 3 is just absolute sh*t in comparison. Anyone who disagrees, I can only assume has simply never used a version of Gnome 2 from its hay day
        I think you may be correct, FC4. That was my first distro, coincidentally also at university. 13-14 years later and some sort of linux is still my main OS. I had a custom kernel and Wine compiled for it and was playing CS:Source, but with crap fps. Was still a kick ass distro, and I prefer how well everything worked, it was a much simpler time, even to wrap your head around the Redhat way of doing things as a complete noob. Lets not even get into just how snappy and usable the desktop UI were between gnome 2 and KDE 3.

Comment

Sounds a bit like "GNU is not Unix"

So in this case, "Core is not Core"

Comment

You would assume wrong. Guess what I think about this matter.

Comment

I was using GNOME 2 and I like GNOME 3

Ok, it's not ideal and I can't tell I agree with all changes but it's pretty good DE, especially after some tweaks and extensions. I like it's design and simplicity.

Comment

I used Gnome extensively since RedHat 5.2. Now a perfectly happy user of Gnome shell :-)

Comment

i don't see why they just don't rename the whole Project back to Fedora Core , you still got fc28.rpm in the rpm anyway

Comment

Nope. I've been using Gnome since the beginning – 1, 2, and 3 – and the current versions are by far the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X