No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Linux 4.17, KDE Plasma 5.13 Riding Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why so many peoples have problems with opensuse tumbleweed.... use it on 10 different systems since factory...

Comment

Wow I think it's time I give tumbleweed another shot

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        Last time I tested openSUSE it was easily the worst experience I ever had on Plasma-Wayland, there was so much software from openSUSE like Yast that has noot been ported to newer toolkits and it was often depending from outdated Qt4 packages (even Qt3 was there). I've not been able to clean that mess up and I went ahead deleting openSUSE again even though I like some ideas of the distribution incl. its Btrfs support.
        This is a non-issue really. Its not a big problem since it will continue working with Qt4 for the time being. Qt5 reorganized some APIs, so Qt4 apps need to be ported. This will probably happen eventually. But its not really important because the big question is does it work, and YaST is working fine as-is.

I do agree btrfs being default makes the most sense. BTW distros tend to support btrfs out of the box, since its a kernel mainline feature. SuSE makes it default in the install. Snapshotting really is best at the filesystem layer, the COW filesystem model is the way to go to improve efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Arch is much less user-friendly than OpenSUSE though. I doubt they actually want this type of promotion, their main target userbase isn't the general public.

Same for Gentoo, for that matter.
          Not anymore. Manjaro is one of the most popular and easy to use arch-derivatives now. And if you install from Antergos or Anarchy, the experience is quite good.

Comment

I've been running TW for a few years now on my main production workstation without any major problem.
            If anything messed up my DE, I've always been able to fix it very easily with a simple snapper rollback.
            But i can easily say it's very stable from my experience!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              Last time I tested openSUSE it was easily the worst experience I ever had on Plasma-Wayland, there was so much software from openSUSE like Yast that has noot been ported to newer toolkits and it was often depending from outdated Qt4 packages (even Qt3 was there). I've not been able to clean that mess up and I went ahead deleting openSUSE again even though I like some ideas of the distribution incl. its Btrfs support.
              Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
              This is a non-issue really. Its not a big problem since it will continue working with Qt4 for the time being. Qt5 reorganized some APIs, so Qt4 apps need to be ported. This will probably happen eventually. But its not really important because the big question is does it work, and YaST is working fine as-is.

I do agree btrfs being default makes the most sense. BTW distros tend to support btrfs out of the box, since its a kernel mainline feature. SuSE makes it default in the install. Snapshotting really is best at the filesystem layer, the COW filesystem model is the way to go to improve efficiency.
              Yast has been using Qt5 for years:
              Code:
              ldd /usr/lib64/yui/libyui-qt.so.8 | grep Qt5Core
              libQt5Core.so.5 => /usr/lib64/libQt5Core.so.5 (0x00007fc361732000)
              Even Yast from Leap 42.1 (released 3 years ago) already used Qt5, haven't checked for older releases.

Qt4 and Qt3 are provided for packages where upstream has not yet ported to Qt5 resp. Qt4. On my system, I have upgraded the last package formerly requiring Qt4 about a year ago.

So I don't know what R41N3R has been using, and when, but somehow he managed to test Plasma-Wayland (which is still considered experimental ...) on a release where Yast still depends on Qt4? Or, more probably, he just does some pointless rants ...

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Not anymore. Manjaro is one of the most popular and easy to use arch-derivatives now. And if you install from Antergos or Anarchy, the experience is quite good.
                you're talking about a different distro. The OP was talking about Arch, and personally I think he's right, however I might be wrong as well. However what you're talking about is Manjaro, a different distribution. It's like if the OP was talking about Debian, and you interjected saying 'Wait, that's not the case, because in Ubuntu that doesn't happen at all'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kavalor View Post
                  Maybe because the Tumbleweed Release Manager are putting up a News Article (once a week ideally) of whats new in Tumbleweed. These articles coincidentally are quite close in Time.
                  This story was written by Douglas DeMaio and unrelated to weekly TW reviews by Dominique Leuenberger. The latter are posted on his personal blog, not news.opensuse.org.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I have a question. Why is OpenSUSE promoted more than Arch in Phoronix?
                    Why is Arch not a kde patron? https://www.kde.org/

Comment

I was traveling for the past 4 days. Looking forward to getting home tonight and trying out 4.17 on my TW laptop

Comment

Working...
                      X