Fedora Atomic Workstation To Be Renamed Fedora Silverblue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Man I can sense RedHat's fear about your company's decision.
    You mean like working for a company that has around 170.000 employees spread over the world and a revenue of about 25 billion USD last year ? That has plenty of virtual servers running RHEL installations on them *and* a subset of that installation running on defense related systems ?

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Please reconsider, don't make them cry.
    No one cries.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      You mean like working for a company that has around 170.000 employees spread over the world and a revenue of about 25 billion USD last year ? That has plenty of virtual servers running RHEL installations on them *and* a subset of that installation running on defense related systems ?
      Damn, and this company lets you choose on important things?

Please tell them that I judged you unfit for that position and I request to fire you immediately.

Comment

No problems with RPM. We are absolutely fine with it. The problem is that Fedora is most likely going the Flatpak path. And so may RHEL. We simply don't want to support such a move.
        I would not call this Flatpak-way. It's more like modular-way. In any case, the future of RPM is not at stake.

Comment

Candy, are you using RHEL as a desktop OS? Flatpak is explicitly desktop technology — although it shares some lineage (and code) with containers, it's not something we're likely to use in, say, Fedora Server. (I can't speak to any RHEL plans.)

Comment

No problems with RPM. We are absolutely fine with it. The problem is that Fedora is most likely going the Flatpak path. And so may RHEL. We simply don't want to support such a move.
            Honestly i dont think that is rational. If you think of FlatPaknas a Mac like solution you should consider why the approach MacOS uses works so well to deliver user apps. The Mac is the most trouble free place to install user apps. If FlatPak is successful in making Linux that trouble free for the user community then it would be smart to support it.

Comment

Are there any specific reasons why? I would have expected enterprise to be pleased with the increased security options.

Comment

No one cries.
                Oh, Internet.. the only place where people living in their parents basement can pretend to be special.

Comment

Following all the changes within Fedora (lately) this all smells like Fedora will become some sort of Mac'ish type OS, where you can drag and drop your downloaded Programs into some "Application" folder for further usage. Plus: a pre-compiled Linux inside Linux kinda system (called Flatpack runtime). Which we want to avoid having on our or our customers systems.
                  That is not a very accurate description of how Flatpak works, it sounds much closer to AppImage.

I think you should do some more research on the pros and cons of various modern packaging alternatives before making a decision.

flatpak.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic-concepts.html is a decent starting point to learn more about flatpak.

Comment

olod News, nothing new. why report old News for Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                      olod News, nothing new. why report old News for Michael
                      Have reported on Silverblue itself before... But for the news in this article on the official name change.... Not old news: https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.ph...action=history
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X