No announcement yet.

Mesa 18.0.5 Being Prepped For Ubuntu 18.04 While 18.1.1 Going Into X-Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 18.0.5 Being Prepped For Ubuntu 18.04 While 18.1.1 Going Into X-Updates

Phoronix: Mesa 18.0.5 Being Prepped For Ubuntu 18.04 While 18.1.1 Going Into X-Updates

When Ubuntu 18.04 LTS shipped in April, it shipped with a near-final release candidate of Mesa 18.0. Coming down the pipe now to "Bionic Beaver" desktop users is Mesa 18.0.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One think to keep in mind here is that both X-Updates and Padoka have dropped support for 16.04LTS. X-Updates are stuck on 17.3.3 and Padoka are stuck on 18.0.1. While I do understand that they can only support so many versions in parallel it still feels odd that they have abandoned a LTS in that way (17.3.3 is far too old and 18.0.1 have a major bug in Dying Light that 18.0.0 does not have).

Comment

you have 18.0.5 in xenial-proposed... and if you need/want something newer you need to upgrade to the next LTS which will get periodic updates via the PPA and eventual backports via bionic-updates

Comment

Alternatively, if you are a bit more adventurous, we highly recommend the Padoka PPA and Oibaf PPAfor getting the bleeding-edge open-source Linux graphics driver support. There is also the Padoka Stable PPA for sticking to the Mesa stable releases and tends to be updated more often than X-Updates.
        Two days ago, the computer failed to start after an apt update on oibaf PPA (later found out, Padoka unstable as well).

Had to chroot twice to the broken install to get back up and running. Using padoka stable now (pkppa), but I would highly, highly suggest people stay off the bleeding edge channel unless they're developers or users actively giving back feedback. Stick to stable, it's not fun wasting an hour getting your stable machine to boot. Especially with Mesa at 18.x now, very little reason to _have_ to run 18.2+. Would love to hear any challenging opinions on this as I am now 100% convinced I'm not touching oibaf/padoka unstable anymore.

Comment

Huh..., I wonder when(if) Fedora would move from 18.0.2...

Comment

I'm getting image corruption post Mesa 18.0, on my RX 570. Corruptions blinks on the Truck Simulators and completely cover the screen on Deus Ex. Happens on Mesa 18.1 and 18.2.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Two days ago, the computer failed to start after an apt update on oibaf PPA (later found out, Padoka unstable as well).

Had to chroot twice to the broken install to get back up and running. Using padoka stable now (pkppa), but I would highly, highly suggest people stay off the bleeding edge channel unless they're developers or users actively giving back feedback. Stick to stable, it's not fun wasting an hour getting your stable machine to boot. Especially with Mesa at 18.x now, very little reason to _have_ to run 18.2+. Would love to hear any challenging opinions on this as I am now 100% convinced I'm not touching oibaf/padoka unstable anymore.
              Same thing happened to me, couldn't get to login screen with Oibaf on 16.04.4
              Had to completely remove Oibaf using using upstart mode on Grub. Couldn't play any games for a week.

Decided to force upgrade to 18.04 last weekend and am now using Padoka Stable.

Stay Away from unstable! Also need to mention that it is the second time that it had happened to me with unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                One think to keep in mind here is that both X-Updates and Padoka have dropped support for 16.04LTS. X-Updates are stuck on 17.3.3 and Padoka are stuck on 18.0.1. While I do understand that they can only support so many versions in parallel it still feels odd that they have abandoned a LTS in that way (17.3.3 is far too old and 18.0.1 have a major bug in Dying Light that 18.0.0 does not have).
                Yeah, I was a little sad that there is only 18.0.1 in padoka stable for xenial. Oh well, 18.04.1 is just around the corner and KDE Neon should be ready to upgrade by then.

I am just gonna have to deal with 18.2-git until then

Comment

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
                  you have 18.0.5 in xenial-proposed... and if you need/want something newer you need to upgrade to the next LTS which will get periodic updates via the PPA and eventual backports via bionic-updates
                  Thanks, didn't know about xenial-proposed, will check that one out!

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah, happened to me too back when I used the unstable Padoka PPA. After some investigation it turned out that Padoka for some reason published packages even when some parts of the build failed so you would get some packages with a new verison while retaining some with an old version which crated havock.

Comment

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
                    Did put in xenial-proposed today, once again thanks. Unfortunately Dying Light is still glitchy on Mesa 18.0.5.

Comment

Working...
                    X