Initial Benchmarks Of OpenSUSE Leap 15 vs. Leap 42.3 vs. Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Benchmarks Of OpenSUSE Leap 15 vs. Leap 42.3 vs. Tumbleweed

Phoronix: Initial Benchmarks Of OpenSUSE Leap 15 vs. Leap 42.3 vs. Tumbleweed

Last Friday the openSUSE community released openSUSE Leap 15 as their newest stable release of openSUSE built from the same sources as SUSE Linux Enterprise 15. Back when this non-rolling-release openSUSE update entered beta at the start of the year we rolled out some preliminary test figures while for your viewing pleasure today are some initial benchmarks with openSUSE Leap 15.0 compared to the former Leap 42.3 and the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does 42.3 have complete Spectre/meltdown mitigation?
    ​​​​​​

Comment

It seems to be slower than 42.3 in many of the tests.

Comment

Michael any chance we could get a 2018 updated version of your Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Clear Linux On Intel's Core i9 7900X article, with a couple of gaming benchmarks thrown in as well this time?
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
          Michael any chance we could get a 2018 updated version of your Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Clear Linux On Intel's Core i9 7900X article, with a couple of gaming benchmarks thrown in as well this time?
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-distros&num=1
          I am doing the same thing now but with more OSes and using the 7980XE rather than 7900X.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
            Does 42.3 have complete Spectre/meltdown mitigation?
            ​​​​​​
            Yes, a fully updated 42.3 installation has complete Spectre and Meltdown mitigation.

Comment

I tried one of the last betas of Leap 15 with KDE and the whole user experiece was definitely worse then KDE Neon. The installation wizard had many unnecessary steps that I wouldn't expect from a distro in 2018. Then it ended up setting up some weird alternative network manager that was making the system.d boot process take 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, and the wifi icon wasn't showing up properly in the system tray.

Then there's the weird fact that you have 2 settings apps (Yast and the one from KDE)...

I think I'll be staying with KDE Neon for now.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Then there's the weird fact that you have 2 settings apps (Yast and the one from KDE)...
                YaST is completely focused on system administration, while the KDE System Settings is geared towards the desktop...

Try doing half of the stuff YaST is capable of in Plasma Settings... you simply can't.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                  I tried one of the last betas of Leap 15 with KDE and the whole user experiece was definitely worse then KDE Neon. The installation wizard had many unnecessary steps that I wouldn't expect from a distro in 2018. Then it ended up setting up some weird alternative network manager that was making the system.d boot process take 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, and the wifi icon wasn't showing up properly in the system tray.

I think I'll be staying with KDE Neon for now.
                  How do you compare a distribution that distribution is not with a true distribution?
                  Kde Neon is not a distribution, it has no applications other than those strictly necessary, while openSUSE is a complete distribution.
                  Yast is the heart of openSUSE and if you would have used it for a while you would have noticed the benefits that come with it. openSUSE has two network managers that the user can choose, by default on laptops by default uses network manager, for workstations instead uses Wicd.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

How do you compare a distribution that distribution is not with a true distribution?
                    Kde Neon is not a distribution, it has no applications other than those strictly necessary, while openSUSE is a complete distribution.
                    Yast is the heart of openSUSE and if you would have used it for a while you would have noticed the benefits that come with it. openSUSE has two network managers that the user can choose, by default on laptops by default uses network manager, for workstations instead uses Wicd.
                    I compare the process of installing both operating systems. I don't care if you call it a distribution or a half distribution or a pseudo-distribution. They are operating systems that let you run programs. I only state my experience exactly like it was:

- On KDE Neon everything worked for me outside of the box
                    - On Leap my boot time was upwards of 3 minutes from an SSD and the network wasn't configured properly (as a user I'm not interested in what OpenSUSE uses for my network on a desktop PC vs notebook, I only want it to work)
                    - I did like Yast, it was just confusing and fragmented that there are multiple things with overlapping feature sets
                    Last edited by Guest; 31 May 2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X