Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.10 Planning For GS Connect, Allowing Phone Integration With The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mobile apps should be done with React-Native, easier to maintain code for both iOS and Android then, UI runs on native thread of it's own with native UI components, JS runs on it's own thread for business logic, but if you actually need performance for some logic you can offload it to native language or C++/Rust binary.

Originally posted by geegee View Post
    some features however are nice just for showcasing like controlling the mouse pointer from your phone but i really wouldnt know how this would ever be useful...
    I've used that mouse feature actually! I've had some times where my mouse and keyboard was locked to a VM or the mouse battery died and I didn't have a replacement for hours, so it came in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
      We do not need the phone invading the desktop, nor we need to remote-control the desktop, there are a trillion of these.

What we need is to be able to access the phone's screen with the computer, we need to be able to remote-desktop into the phone.

The phone's notifications need to remain in the phone, what I need is the keyboard and mouse to operate on the phone.

A single screen, mouse and keyboard to control everything, the phone part of my desktop, not the other way around.

I'm shocked no one gets it.
      Well, there is Synergy for that, and KDE connect allows you to use your computer as a virtual keyboard already.
      Screen real estate is expensive, most of the time, I would have my phone's screen on rather than another window on my computer

Comment

Originally posted by MannerMan View Post

Maybe this is of interest for you: https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy
        For those on OpenSUSE there is a OBS repo here https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/hardware/scrcpy

Comment

been using kde-connect for quite some time and i especially love the copy-paste and files exchange features.
          some features however are nice just for showcasing like controlling the mouse pointer from your phone but i really wouldnt know how this would ever be useful...
          It definitely is when you're in your couch watching some movies during the winter with a blanket on you and your keyboard/mouse lays 50 cms away (and way worse if it's 3m) and then you realize you want to do some very basic stuff (google search, select a menu option) for 30 seconds but you're too lazy to pull out your trunk and arms and start typing.

Believe me, it is easier to have your phone or tablet within reach in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            Well, there is Synergy for that
            Synergy is for sharing mouse/keyboard between Windows, Mac and Linux desktop, does not work on Android afaik.

It is also closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Synergy is for sharing mouse/keyboard between Windows, Mac and Linux desktop, does not work on Android afaik.

It is also closed source.
              It was taken closed source. You can still use the last open-source version.

Comment

Ill literally donate 100.00 to a gofundme if it means i can send/ recieve text from linux through iOS

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  What we need is to be able to access the phone's screen with the computer, we need to be able to remote-desktop into the phone.
                  Do you mean something like Vysor? Youtube demo here.

Comment

controlling the mouse pointer from your phone but i really wouldnt know how this would ever be useful...

Heh, I use my TV as my main daily driver screen and often use my computers mouse via my phone to download a new movie. I then use the shell scripts functionality to do a "sudo systemctl restart minidlna" with a single finger click on the phone.
                    Last edited by markc; 15 May 2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

controlling the mouse pointer from your phone but i really wouldnt know how this would ever be useful...
                      When I download a movie not available on online services, I plug my laptop on the TV with a HDMI cable, and control VLC through the phone

Comment

Working...
                      X