Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux Moving For A Quick Rollout Of GCC 8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel's Clear Linux Moving For A Quick Rollout Of GCC 8

    Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Moving For A Quick Rollout Of GCC 8

    Intel's performance-oriented Clear Linux operating system is already preparing to ship GCC 8.1 as the default compiler and over the days ahead will be rebuilding all of their packages under GCC8...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CC-8.1-Rollout

  • #2
    And Arch Linux provides gcc 8.1 as well already by default.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      And Arch Linux provides gcc 8.1 as well already by default.
      It's pointless unless you recompile everything with it.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

      Comment


      • #4
        Any indication that this is not done now step by step?

        Comment


        • #5
          Let's see how they compile the kernel with GCC 8.1. There's a blocking regression that's being deferred to GCC 9.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            And Arch Linux provides gcc 8.1 as well already by default.
            Arch does put packages out very fast.
            But Clear Linux is rebuilding the whole distro using GCC8.1, which goes beyond just making the package avaliable.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by txtsd View Post
              Let's see how they compile the kernel with GCC 8.1. There's a blocking regression that's being deferred to GCC 9.
              There's probably some argument that you can pass...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

                Arch does put packages out very fast.
                But Clear Linux is rebuilding the whole distro using GCC8.1, which goes beyond just making the package avaliable.
                Every non-toy distribution does that. In fact, Debian and SUSE (and probably Fedora, too) have been doing gcc-8 testbuilds for month now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gentoo user here. Recently rebuilt @world @system with gcc 8.1. Flawless victory.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

                    It's pointless unless you recompile everything with it.
                    Why ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X