Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developers Once Again Debate Dropping i386 Images, Then Discontinuing i386 Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

They will only drop the distro, not multiarch and cross compiling.
    I don't think you are right.
    Why would the dev mention Steam and Wine if they were going to still support multiarch?

Comment

It would be great if Valve would finally provide a 64bit build of Steam. This is overdue.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Why would the dev mention Steam and Wine if they were going to still support multiarch?
        they want to move to x64 only binary, at least as default and since wine it will put 64 bits as default I can't see the point of using 32 bits in future, my default wine install is 64 bits for long time and I can't notice any difference

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          "nobody uses x86 anymore" "every x86 has amd64 mode"
          Well, it's been 2 years since I've made a live boot for new COTS x86 only platforms (Vortex based).
          It's been 5 years since my CE5315 based "NAS" came out (intel x86 32 bits only).
          I won't use a desktop on any of those systems, but 99% of my linux use is non-desktop. And my desktop runs on 32 bits arm v7.
          Even among servers and NASes, nobody is running a modern version of Linux on hardware that is only 32-bit. Furthermore, 32-bit ARM is not the same thing as 32-bit x86, so that can't be compared.

So pretty much everyone who matters witch such a decision is running x86-64 or something else.

Comment

Killing off 32-bit multiarch entirely would be the straw that drives me stop procrastinating a move to Debian.

I'm BIG on application compatibility.

Heck, my favourite Tetris game is a 16-bit Windows application that was broken in Wine versions post-1.2 last I checked, so I use PlayOnLinux to run it in 32-bit Wine 1.2.x on 64-bit Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

If that's the case - that's too bad. I'm not using Ubuntu and I hope Debian won't drop multiarch for i386. A lot of old games depend on it.

Comment

Quick question regarding Wine: is there some sort of timeframe or anything for Wine 64-bit support? And by 64-bit support I mean that you don't need 32-bit packages on 64-bit systems anymore. I know that Ubuntu is not going to remove the packages but only the ISO's, but I still wonder if the Wine developers have anything planned regarding 64-bit only?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  they want to move to x64 only binary, at least as default and since wine it will put 64 bits as default I can't see the point of using 32 bits in future, my default wine install is 64 bits for long time and I can't notice any difference
                  There is a point. A lot of older games and applications are 32-bit. You won't be able to run any of them if you'll lose i386 multiarch.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Quick question regarding Wine: is there some sort of timeframe or anything for Wine 64-bit support? And by 64-bit support I mean that you don't need 32-bit packages on 64-bit systems anymore.
                    I don't think it's possible. Wine needs 32-bit libraries to run 32-bit code on 64-bit system.

Comment

Yeah, the proposal seems to be about dropping the 32-bit package archive. For programs, that might not be a bad idea. For dependencies and libraries, those should basically stay there until the end of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X