Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu MATE / Studio / Budgie All End Their 32-bit ISOs For New Releases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu MATE / Studio / Budgie All End Their 32-bit ISOs For New Releases

    Phoronix: Ubuntu MATE / Studio / Budgie All End Their 32-bit ISOs For New Releases

    Following the recent Ubuntu 18.04 Long Term Support release, more Ubuntu derivatives are taking this opportunity to end the production of their 32-bit software images...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Bit-Droppings

  • #2
    Been running 64bit AMD CPUs for almost 15 years now..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lem79 View Post
      Been running 64bit AMD CPUs for almost 15 years now..
      there are still various cases where people aren't. I have a netbook that is technically 64bit capable, but as it can only ever have 2 gigs of ram there wasn't much point for me to switch it until recently when Arch also stopped guaranteeing 32bit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        there are still various cases where people aren't. I have a netbook that is technically 64bit capable, but as it can only ever have 2 gigs of ram there wasn't much point for me to switch it until recently when Arch also stopped guaranteeing 32bit.
        I know.. I was having a dig at Intel

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

          there are still various cases where people aren't. I have a netbook that is technically 64bit capable, but as it can only ever have 2 gigs of ram there wasn't much point for me to switch it until recently when Arch also stopped guaranteeing 32bit.
          I also remember reading about devices that are technically using 64-bit CPUs, but will only boot 32-bit OSes because of how the OEM set up their BIOS.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

            there are still various cases where people aren't. I have a netbook that is technically 64bit capable, but as it can only ever have 2 gigs of ram there wasn't much point for me to switch it until recently when Arch also stopped guaranteeing 32bit.
            Those things were slow when new, and now are so slow, that a colegue at work came to me asking if hers have a virus, because it crawled to open Yahoo mail.

            Unless you have a unhealthy attachment to such machine or are dirt poor, I have a hard time understanding why you keep using it, instead of jumping to a more capable machine on the same size, like a used Thinkpad X220.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              I also remember reading about devices that are technically using 64-bit CPUs, but will only boot 32-bit OSes because of how the OEM set up their BIOS.
              You're probably thinking about Intel Bay Trail based notebooks which have a 64-bit CPU with 32-bit EFI implementations. While this is an inconvenience it's still possible to run a 64-bit distribution on those provided you use a 32-bit bootloader. I'm pretty sure newer Ubuntu installers do this automatically.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                Been running 64bit AMD CPUs for almost 15 years now..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

                  Those things were slow when new, and now are so slow, that a colegue at work came to me asking if hers have a virus, because it crawled to open Yahoo mail.

                  Unless you have a unhealthy attachment to such machine or are dirt poor, I have a hard time understanding why you keep using it, instead of jumping to a more capable machine on the same size, like a used Thinkpad X220.
                  You can keep it around as a toy to play around with some very, very lightweight OS's like AROS, KolibriOS, Haiku, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

                    Those things were slow when new, and now are so slow, that a colegue at work came to me asking if hers have a virus, because it crawled to open Yahoo mail.

                    Unless you have a unhealthy attachment to such machine or are dirt poor, I have a hard time understanding why you keep using it, instead of jumping to a more capable machine on the same size, like a used Thinkpad X220.
                    Retro gaming is a thing. People are building retro pc's with dos and upgrading the hard drive with compact flash drives and using crt monitors. If you have old hardware don't throw it out sell it. This youtube video has 275,000 views about reto pc gaming <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CgisEFObjA> The old games don't run properly on old hardware.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X