No announcement yet.

Fedora 28 Is Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy: you're correct that there was some kind of issue with the F28 mass rebuild which meant some of the builds weren't actually run - the spec bump was committed to git, but for some reason the build was never sent to Koji.

You're going a bit far in talking about "right" and "wrong" builds, though, really. The truth is, fundamentally the important thing for the release is, does it work? If the packages that didn't get rebuilt still work fine...this isn't a critical problem. There'll be another mass rebuild in future anyway. For some releases we don't do a mass rebuild at all. It's not a critical part of the process without which we can't possibly ship a release.

We hold up Beta releases if they don't meet the quality requirements for a Beta release. We don't hold them up just because some packages which were intended to be rebuilt didn't get rebuilt (but otherwise work fine).

Comment

a question. How is it possible that despite of 18.0.1 mesa drivers opengl stucks on 3.0 opengl!? All the recent linux distros seem to have this issue. The vga are rather modern supporting up to 4.6 opengl standards.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        Candy: you're correct that there was some kind of issue with the F28 mass rebuild which meant some of the builds weren't actually run - the spec bump was committed to git, but for some reason the build was never sent to Koji.

You're going a bit far in talking about "right" and "wrong" builds, though, really. The truth is, fundamentally the important thing for the release is, does it work? If the packages that didn't get rebuilt still work fine...this isn't a critical problem. There'll be another mass rebuild in future anyway. For some releases we don't do a mass rebuild at all. It's not a critical part of the process without which we can't possibly ship a release.

We hold up Beta releases if they don't meet the quality requirements for a Beta release. We don't hold them up just because some packages which were intended to be rebuilt didn't get rebuilt (but otherwise work fine).
        Yup, at that point the main thing in addition to knowing that what actually was shipped works is knowing what the root causes for those issues were so it's at least possible to try to avoid them in the future.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Please understand that I was quite irritated by this issue, since it affects quite a lot of packages.

You're going a bit far in talking about "right" and "wrong" builds, though, really.
          Sorry for causing irritations by my wording. But english isn't my native language and I have to jump between four different languages every now and then.

The truth is, fundamentally the important thing for the release is, does it work?
          This release of Fedora 28 works as expected - Perfectly! There are minor quirks there and here. But all in all, nothing to worry.

Comment

I can't drive the volume above 100 % (manually) in the Settings -> Sound dialog anymore.
            Yeah, that worked. There was a margin above 100 %.

It's now gone, with 100 % being the absolute upper limit (and that 100 % seems to match the old 100 %)

Does anyone knows if and how I can restore the old range?

Comment

Wow, nvidia support in Fedora? Interesting. Does it also work with the default wayland desktop?

Comment

Very nice release. One thing I have found is that fresh installs seem to perform considerably better compared to upgrades. I have upgraded to the last few releases but last night I bit the bullet and did a clean install. Significant difference in boot time and performance. The upgrade process always worked but I don't think it is meant to be used continually?

Installation was very smooth. I was rather vocal about how badly they screwed Anaconda for several releases after the complete redesign but it is working really well now with a decent variety of install options. Netinstall took <30 mins and only took a few mins to customise (install chrome, change some GRUB2 flags (remove quiet, rhgb), rpmfusion, vlc, mess with services, tweak Mate slightly etc etc).

Fedora still enable a bunch of unnecessary services. ssh shouldn't be enabled by default for workstation IMHO. Anyone who needs it is smart enough to enable it. LVM and RAID services still need to be disabled manually. Everything else seems pretty sane and boots in under 40 seconds (1st gen i5 laptop) which should drop further if I disable NetworkManager-wait-online which is another dubious service that seemingly serves no practical benefit for workstation.

Been using Fedora since the Core days. Still miss the code names (though no code names is arguably preferable to rubbish like Spherical Cow and Beefy Miracle). Hopefully the days of unmitigated chaos (think first few iterations of Gnome3, new Anaconda, PA and systemd to name a few) are well behind us. I've always liked that Fedora gets the latest and greatest new stuff, just sometimes the new stuff comes out still a little too raw for mass release - but lately things seem really good.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I can't drive the volume above 100 % (manually) in the Settings -> Sound dialog anymore.
                  Yeah, that worked. There was a margin above 100 %.

It's now gone, with 100 % being the absolute upper limit (and that 100 % seems to match the old 100 %)

Does anyone knows if and how I can restore the old range?
                  gnome-tweaks has an option to enable the volume boost. I use it often for too-silent movies so I'm glad it's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by kruger View Post

gnome-tweaks has an option to enable the volume boost. I use it often for too-silent movies so I'm glad it's still there.
                    Perfect, that did it.

Not sure, why this setting wasn't kept during upgrade.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Would like to see F28, Ubuntu 18.04, among others and Clear Linux benchmarks again soon please.

Comment

Working...
                      X