Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 28 Is A Brilliant Release

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 28 Is A Brilliant Release

Fedora 28 debuts today and it's a terrific update to this Linux distribution. I've been running Fedora Workstation 28 and Fedora Server 28 on a number of systems so far and it's been working out quite nicely during the development phase, many visible and both underlying improvements, and also significant is they are now releasing on-time without sacrificing quality thanks to release management improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! I'm making time to move main desktop, just not sure if I'll be using Gnome... is there an option to enable the system tray in this release?

Comment

A pre-release of GCC?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        A pre-release of GCC?
        Why not, i always view Fedora as development preview for the next RHEL and this one smells really like something of that is near

Everything sounds like 8 is the number, 8th year in this decade, F-2-8, GCC8, RHEL8
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Fedora 28 debuts today...
          what are you smoking there? the current iso is on the net since the 25th of April...

Comment

Originally posted by eddybb View Post

what are you smoking there? the current iso is on the net since the 25th of April...
            In terms of its official release announcement....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

In terms of its official release announcement....
              Not only that, but even if we don't respin the image the official release date is also important in terms of having the planned zero day updates ready. So even if the ISO hasn't changed doesn't mean F28 is the same today as it was on the 25th as we do expect most users to relatively quickly get the zero day updates applied.

Christian

Comment

About a year ago I tried Fedora 25 after previously only having experience with Ubuntu derived or Debian based distros.
                I was so impressed by how good it was. Especially after hearing it was not a distro for noobs. But it seemed pretty easy for me.

Can't wait to try this, and hope it garners a larger user base. Now that both are on gnome, the comparisons to Ubuntu are also gonna be inevitable.

Comment

Fedora has always been my goto distribution. Started using it beginning with Fedora 1 and although I tried a few other distros I always came back to it. Looking forward to trying out this one.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    About a year ago I tried Fedora 25 after previously only having experience with Ubuntu derived or Debian based distros.
                    I was so impressed by how good it was. Especially after hearing it was not a distro for noobs. But it seemed pretty easy for me.

Can't wait to try this, and hope it garners a larger user base. Now that both are on gnome, the comparisons to Ubuntu are also gonna be inevitable.
                    Same here, F25 is where I switched to Fedora, that was a very polished release. I use only the MATE spin however. Can't stand that gnome3 ui, always feels like its in the way!

Comment

Working...
                    X