X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isantop
    replied
    Originally posted by olympus View Post
    The truth is that they wanted to use Elementary's software app instead of GNOME software for promoting all these new elementary apps.
    Actually, Pop_Shop doesn't include any elementary AppCenter apps (per the elementary project's request), and it's a good reason. Those apps are designed pretty specifically for elementary OS, and would look and feel sorely out of place on Pop. The main reason we went with a store based on AppCenter is that AppCenter opens up much faster than GNOME Software, and it's much faster to use. Try opening up the store and searching for an app on both GNOME software and Pop_Shop. You'll find that it's much quicker to get a result on Pop_Shop because of the clever caching AppCenter does in the background. GNOME Software requires an Apt update each time it runs before it can display metadata for apps, which is why it's so much slower.

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

They wanted to have some control over the OS they were delivering on their hardware.

Their CEO said the biggest complaints they heard about Ubuntu were:
    The time it takes to set up a productive environment.
    Removing bloatware.
    Up-to-date drivers and software.
    A fast app center that works well.

And they claim to have fixed all these.
    System76 engineer here. Actually, it's because Canonical has been on a continuing downward trend to move away from the desktop, and focusing only on servers and IoT. System76's business revolves entirely around the desktop, as a desktop hardware OEM. That means that Canonical's interests are going the exact opposite of where our interests lie. Therefore, the change is so that we can provide a better solution from a desktop hardware OEM perspective,and a better out of the box desktop experience that is demanded by our customers.

Leave a comment:

• tmpdir
    replied
    Not using poops (wut... Nasty spellchecking). But definitely watching it, because Ubuntu really feels dated. Hope this brings some refresh.

For now installing gnome desktop on Ubuntu to have a handle free distro (one that costs least time for me personally)

Leave a comment:

• olympus
    replied
    Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

They wanted to have some control over the OS they were delivering on their hardware.

Removing bloatware.

Typical CEO bullshit Our bloatware is better than the bloatware of others. I am kidding
    The truth is that they wanted to use Elementary's software app instead of GNOME software for promoting all these new elementary apps.
    Canonical wanted to use GNOME software and they weren't insterested on Elementary apps, so in order to use Elementary's they had to create a distro.
    Don't forget that Cassidy James Blaede who co-founded the elementary OS project works at System76.
    Right now Pop OS is something lke an OEM version of Ubuntu.
    Like Dell, HP etc create their own OEM versions of Windows with their own drivers, wallpapers, updates and bloatware It's the same thing.
    The difference is that PopOS is a wonderful OEM version of Ubuntu with some nice features added.
    System76 created a very good dstro.
    Last edited by olympus; 01 May 2018, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SWY1985
    replied
    I've tried it and I kind of liked it, but I won't keep it installed because secure boot didn't work (for me). Here's the pros and cons (according to me):

Pros:
    - Super simple, clear and fast installation
    - Really fast booting
    - Little unnecessary preinstalled apps

Cons:
    - Secure boot didn't work
    - I really dislike the default font/theme/icons/backgrounds

Since themes are customizable, that's not a showstopper for me. I might try this distro again in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by czz0 View Post
    Why did they make their own distro?

Removing bloatware.

Leave a comment:

• czz0
    replied
    Why did they make their own distro?

Leave a comment:

• alqm
    replied
    The new installer is superb: http://pop.system76.com/docs/install-pop-os/

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Installing Pop! theme on regular Ubuntu 18.04 breaks menu rendering in Gnome session

Distribution - Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Gtk+ 3.0 version - 3.22.30-1ubuntu1 Desktop environment - Gnome Pop version - Pop!_GTK+ Version 3.1.0 Related Application and/or Shell theming (or name of widget) De...

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    Just gave it a try and I think it's one of the best Gnome distros out there. Michael by any chance can you add Pop! to the list of distros you use for testing especially since they will be adding some of Clear Linux's optimizations?
    last one was bad, really bad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X