Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Releases Updated Pop!_OS Based Off Ubuntu 18.04

Phoronix: System76 Releases Updated Pop!_OS Based Off Ubuntu 18.04

Based off the new Ubuntu 18.04 as a base, Linux PC vendor System76 released this weekend Pop!_OS 18.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just gave it a try and I think it's one of the best Gnome distros out there. Michael by any chance can you add Pop! to the list of distros you use for testing especially since they will be adding some of Clear Linux's optimizations?

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
      Just gave it a try and I think it's one of the best Gnome distros out there. Michael by any chance can you add Pop! to the list of distros you use for testing especially since they will be adding some of Clear Linux's optimizations?
      Once they actually add some optimizations may test it more, but at last check it was still performing just like Ubuntu.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
        last one was bad, really bad

Comment

Installing Pop! theme on regular Ubuntu 18.04 breaks menu rendering in Gnome session

Distribution - Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Gtk+ 3.0 version - 3.22.30-1ubuntu1 Desktop environment - Gnome Pop version - Pop!_GTK+ Version 3.1.0 Related Application and/or Shell theming (or name of widget) De...

Comment

The new installer is superb: http://pop.system76.com/docs/install-pop-os/

Comment

Why did they make their own distro?

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
                Why did they make their own distro?
                They wanted to have some control over the OS they were delivering on their hardware.

Their CEO said the biggest complaints they heard about Ubuntu were:
                The time it takes to set up a productive environment.
                Removing bloatware.
                Up-to-date drivers and software.
                A fast app center that works well.

And they claim to have fixed all these.

Comment

I've tried it and I kind of liked it, but I won't keep it installed because secure boot didn't work (for me). Here's the pros and cons (according to me):

Pros:
                  - Super simple, clear and fast installation
                  - Really fast booting
                  - Little unnecessary preinstalled apps

Cons:
                  - Secure boot didn't work
                  - I really dislike the default font/theme/icons/backgrounds

Since themes are customizable, that's not a showstopper for me. I might try this distro again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

They wanted to have some control over the OS they were delivering on their hardware.

Their CEO said the biggest complaints they heard about Ubuntu were:
                    The time it takes to set up a productive environment.
                    Removing bloatware.
                    Up-to-date drivers and software.
                    A fast app center that works well.

And they claim to have fixed all these.

Typical CEO bullshit Our bloatware is better than the bloatware of others. I am kidding
                    The truth is that they wanted to use Elementary's software app instead of GNOME software for promoting all these new elementary apps.
                    Canonical wanted to use GNOME software and they weren't insterested on Elementary apps, so in order to use Elementary's they had to create a distro.
                    Don't forget that Cassidy James Blaede who co-founded the elementary OS project works at System76.
                    Right now Pop OS is something lke an OEM version of Ubuntu.
                    Like Dell, HP etc create their own OEM versions of Windows with their own drivers, wallpapers, updates and bloatware It's the same thing.
                    The difference is that PopOS is a wonderful OEM version of Ubuntu with some nice features added.
                    System76 created a very good dstro.
                    Last edited by olympus; 01 May 2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X