X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brrrrttttt
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    When I was updating my Linux box a few months ago, I decided to do an Ubuntu install which I intended to use for Steam mainly (turns out I don't use it that much and Arch continues to be my main distro). I decided on the LTS release because it's the one officially supported. It's astounding how out-of-date it looks, especially the icons. I'll maybe do an update to it to this release.
    Yes, once you're used to having up-to-date software it's hard to go back to something like Ubuntu, with all it's bugs that were patched months ago upstream.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by vegabook View Post

....because you're paying sooo much for "quality assurance" on a free, beta product.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    I switched from Debian to Ubuntu on my new laptop. So I am comparing it to another free product and one without a company backing it. When Ubuntu can't do better than the free distro they are based on, they are doing something wrong.

Leave a comment:

• vegabook
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    I am going to wait a while, the betas bricked my computer twice (well the machine could be recovered via a reinstall, but otherwise completely useless). I have very very little confidence in Canonical QA these days.
    ....because you're paying sooo much for "quality assurance" on a free, beta product.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Slobodan
    replied
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by Slobodan View Post
    Ah.

I am using Ubutnu 17.10 with Unity 7. When it stopps being supported, I will need to "upgrade" to 18.04. Is there any way to continue using Unity 7? I don't like Unity 8, because it looks like it was made for phones/tablets (touchscreens, actually).
    Or to have Unity 8, but customised to look more like Unity 7?
    You can install Unity 7 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it is in the archives, install 18.04 LTS and then enter:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop Reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Slobodan
    replied
    Ah.

I am using Ubutnu 17.10 with Unity 7. When it stopps being supported, I will need to "upgrade" to 18.04. Is there any way to continue using Unity 7? I don't like Unity 8, because it looks like it was made for phones/tablets (touchscreens, actually).
    Or to have Unity 8, but customised to look more like Unity 7?

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    I am going to wait a while, the betas bricked my computer twice (well the machine could be recovered via a reinstall, but otherwise completely useless). I have very very little confidence in Canonical QA these days.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    What's up with Unity 7/8 and the plans?
    Unity 7 is discontinued. So new features is not likely. Maybe bug fixes.
    Unity 8 is abandoned by Canonical but there is the UBPorts community which picked it up and continues the development of it.

The new Unity experience is built on top of GNOME as a GNOME Shell Extension. It provides a familiar user interface with a dock to the left.

Leave a comment:

• tweak42
    replied
    Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    When I was updating my Linux box a few months ago, I decided to do an Ubuntu install which I intended to use for Steam mainly (turns out I don't use it that much and Arch continues to be my main distro). I decided on the LTS release because it's the one officially supported. It's astounding how out-of-date it looks, especially the icons. I'll maybe do an update to it to this release.
    There was a icons and theme update in the mix but it was apparently pushed back to 18.10 at the last minute.
    If you were hoping to see Ubuntu 18.04 LTS arrive with an all-new look then brace yourself as we've bad news to share. Ubuntu has said that the new theme,

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    What's up with Unity 7/8 and the plans?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X