Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slobodan View Post
    Ah.

I am using Ubutnu 17.10 with Unity 7. When it stopps being supported, I will need to "upgrade" to 18.04. Is there any way to continue using Unity 7? I don't like Unity 8, because it looks like it was made for phones/tablets (touchscreens, actually).
    Or to have Unity 8, but customised to look more like Unity 7?
    You can install Unity 7 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it is in the archives, install 18.04 LTS and then enter:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop Reboot.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        I am going to wait a while, the betas bricked my computer twice (well the machine could be recovered via a reinstall, but otherwise completely useless). I have very very little confidence in Canonical QA these days.
        ....because you're paying sooo much for "quality assurance" on a free, beta product.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

....because you're paying sooo much for "quality assurance" on a free, beta product.

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
          I switched from Debian to Ubuntu on my new laptop. So I am comparing it to another free product and one without a company backing it. When Ubuntu can't do better than the free distro they are based on, they are doing something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            When I was updating my Linux box a few months ago, I decided to do an Ubuntu install which I intended to use for Steam mainly (turns out I don't use it that much and Arch continues to be my main distro). I decided on the LTS release because it's the one officially supported. It's astounding how out-of-date it looks, especially the icons. I'll maybe do an update to it to this release.
            Yes, once you're used to having up-to-date software it's hard to go back to something like Ubuntu, with all it's bugs that were patched months ago upstream.

Comment

Working...
            X