Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" Official Images Now Available

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" Official Images Now Available

Ubuntu 18.04, the Bionic Beaver release, is now available as Canonical's latest Long-Term Support (LTS) release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...18.04-Download

I got the update tuesday before finale official release with my beta copy. When I went to compile ue4 I was surprised it comes with clang 6 (I choose clang 5).

Comment

"Bionic Beaver", because "Fleshlight" is already trademarked.

Is Mark really that desperate?

Comment

When I was updating my Linux box a few months ago, I decided to do an Ubuntu install which I intended to use for Steam mainly (turns out I don't use it that much and Arch continues to be my main distro). I decided on the LTS release because it's the one officially supported. It's astounding how out-of-date it looks, especially the icons. I'll maybe do an update to it to this release.

Comment

I'll wait some days for bugs to get fixed. Gnome with unite extension should be pretty cool.
          Has UDEV been removed? In 16.04 I had to create rules for my USB Joysticks, a true pain in the ass.
          Last edited by mike44; 27 April 2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

What's up with Unity 7/8 and the plans?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              When I was updating my Linux box a few months ago, I decided to do an Ubuntu install which I intended to use for Steam mainly (turns out I don't use it that much and Arch continues to be my main distro). I decided on the LTS release because it's the one officially supported. It's astounding how out-of-date it looks, especially the icons. I'll maybe do an update to it to this release.
              There was a icons and theme update in the mix but it was apparently pushed back to 18.10 at the last minute.
              https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/...-new-gtk-theme

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                What's up with Unity 7/8 and the plans?
                Unity 7 is discontinued. So new features is not likely. Maybe bug fixes.
                Unity 8 is abandoned by Canonical but there is the UBPorts community which picked it up and continues the development of it.

The new Unity experience is built on top of GNOME as a GNOME Shell Extension. It provides a familiar user interface with a dock to the left.

Comment

I am going to wait a while, the betas bricked my computer twice (well the machine could be recovered via a reinstall, but otherwise completely useless). I have very very little confidence in Canonical QA these days.

Comment

Ah.

I am using Ubutnu 17.10 with Unity 7. When it stopps being supported, I will need to "upgrade" to 18.04. Is there any way to continue using Unity 7? I don't like Unity 8, because it looks like it was made for phones/tablets (touchscreens, actually).
                    Or to have Unity 8, but customised to look more like Unity 7?

Comment

Working...
                    X