Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 28 Is Being Released On-Time Next Week

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora 28 Is Being Released On-Time Next Week

    Phoronix: Fedora 28 Is Being Released On-Time Next Week

    While Fedora had been notorious for releasing often weeks behind schedule, they've been working on improving their release process management and bug handling and it's paid off. Fedora 28 will be shipping on-time for its final release next week!..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ng-On-Schedule

  • #2
    Oh dear, no! Having delayed releases is a long-standing tradition with Fedora that must be held up at all costs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Like we keep saying, being "on time" isn't a major thing, the schedule is approximate, we explicitly expect it can change a bit based on testing results. But hey, glad it made you happy. :P

      And for the record...I checked: this is in fact the very first Fedora release that has ever happened "on schedule". (It's a bit hard to say definitively for releases before Fedora 7, as their schedules were always claimed to be 'drafts', but by any reasonable measure they all were delayed by at least a week).

      Comment


      • #4
        Will xorg-server 1.20 be available as an update in Fedora 28 once it comes out? A while ago I was hoping it would make it by 28 but it is still RC, I was hoping to install Fedora on laptop with hybrid Intel/Nvidia GPUs and use Wayland session.

        Comment


        • #5
          Everyone will remember if the release is bad. But few will remember it was late.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            Will xorg-server 1.20 be available as an update in Fedora 28 once it comes out? A while ago I was hoping it would make it by 28 but it is still RC, I was hoping to install Fedora on laptop with hybrid Intel/Nvidia GPUs and use Wayland session.
            Yes, xorg 1.20 is planned as an update for F28. Not sure if it's going to be 0day update, but I'd expect it very soon. For now, you can use copr[0] with xorg 1.20, maintained by xorg developer, Adam Jackson.

            [0] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...rg-x11-server/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AdamW View Post
              And for the record...I checked: this is in fact the very first Fedora release that has ever happened "on schedule". (It's a bit hard to say definitively for releases before Fedora 7, as their schedules were always claimed to be 'drafts', but by any reasonable measure they all were delayed by at least a week).
              Yes, that's why we always joke about it... this post has me worried that the world is going to end in the next few days, just to ensure this unprecedented event doesn't occur...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Everyone will remember if the release is bad. But few will remember it was late.
                Hmm, that's analogous to giving birth. On the other hand, bad releases like XP were fixed (SP1/2) as software isn't hardware.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Widefox View Post

                  Hmm, that's analogous to giving birth. On the other hand, bad releases like XP were fixed (SP1/2) as software isn't hardware.
                  There are some problems it's difficult to fix with updates - mainly problems that happen in the environments provided by the release media themselves, before any update is applied (e.g. bugs that affect live environments or the installer). The only way to fix these is to do a full or partial re-release, which is a lot of work and which Fedora usually just doesn't do. These are the kinds of bugs we put the most effort into trying to get fixed before release.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AdamW View Post

                    There are some problems it's difficult to fix with updates - mainly problems that happen in the environments provided by the release media themselves, before any update is applied (e.g. bugs that affect live environments or the installer). The only way to fix these is to do a full or partial re-release, which is a lot of work and which Fedora usually just doesn't do. These are the kinds of bugs we put the most effort into trying to get fixed before release.
                    Yes. Worst case is when a release affects some hardware/firmware - so Ubuntu 17.10 being pulled rather than re-released https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/s...ption-issue/1/ .

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X