Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Prepares HPC Module

Phoronix: SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Prepares HPC Module

The upcoming release of SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 is offering an HPC (High Performance Computing) module for development, control, and compute nodes. Today that SLE15-HPC module is now available in beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These days it is pretty simple to "roll your own" HPC so it is interesting that this is still a business model for them. Inertia I guess, since some major HPC names still use Suse as a base on their clusters (Cray comes to mind).

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      These days it is pretty simple to "roll your own" HPC so it is interesting that this is still a business model for them. Inertia I guess, since some major HPC names still use Suse as a base on their clusters (Cray comes to mind).
      certifications are still a thing, I guess.

Comment

Could be ... Maybe I'm just lucky that the clusters I've worked on and am still working are mostly academic and require next to nothing in terms of licensed software and certifications.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
          Could be ... Maybe I'm just lucky that the clusters I've worked on and am still working are mostly academic and require next to nothing in terms of licensed software and certifications.
          I would imagine that the support contracts are the most important aspect. Institutions aren't as likely to plow 6-figure or 7-figure budgets into DIY clusters with no possibility of a support contract.

Comment

Then I'm for sure lucky, since I run 7-figure budget & cluster in DIY mode with very happy users

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I would imagine that the support contracts are the most important aspect. Institutions aren't as likely to plow 6-figure or 7-figure budgets into DIY clusters with no possibility of a support contract.
              It's actually the other way around imho.

Companies have something to lose, institutions don't (their grants still come at regular intervals even if their cluster crashed and burned in very inappropriate times).

Comment

Working...
              X