Arch Linux Finally Rolling Out Glibc 2.27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That dungeon troll is pathetic.

The main difference between Arch and Debian is not how bleeding edge packages are, but the KISS philosophy VS the "i think i know what i am doing so i am going to change everything" philosophy of Debian.

Take for example this:

https://www.acunetix.com/vulnerabili...mber-generator

For those who don't know (or don't remember), this happened because one Debian maintainer was getting some warnings when compiling openssl and changed the source code in order to clear them. He ruined the random number generator and produced predictable keys for Debian and all Debian derived distros. It took them 2 years to figure out the issue, an issue that could as well have been created on purpose to make debian based systems vulnerable.

This was possible based on the Debian "we have to absolutely meddle into everything" philosophy.

With Arch, packages are generally vanilla unless there is a significant reason to backport fixes or patch something. You don't have to be afraid of a moron package maintainer modifying source code for no reason.

So yeah, let dungeon use this trash distro if he likes. I prefer Arch's way, even if glibc is 5 years old.

Comment

Working...
    X