No announcement yet.

Debian 10 "Buster" Should Be Out Around Mid-2019, Debian 12 Is "Bookworm"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this forum have a habit of "eating" replies? Because I wrote one and it still didn't show up. I don't see it queued up for approval or anything... it's like I didn't write it. What could be going on?

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
      Does this forum have a habit of "eating" replies?
      Yeah, that seems happens randomly like steam survey - someone get it often, someone only rare, sometimes and someone never

Antibot Police you know, picking someone randomly
      Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
        Probably Debian 10 will be the final operating system I will install on my old 32bit machines. I currently use Ubuntu 16.04 but I wont' upgrade them to 18.04 since there's not enough testing in ubuntu 32bit archives since the official flavor has dropped support. Also, many 3rd party software is not available for Ubuntu latest versions 32bit (e.g. megasync), but I hope they will support Debian 32bit for a little bit more.
        In Debian, 64bit only surprases 32bit back in 2012. So, 5 years after first 64bit release in 2007.

Currently there are still likely too much and more than 10% users of 32bit x86 Debian. So, still sounds not ideal to be dropped... maybe when it is bellow 5% somewhere around 2021. or maybe even year 2023.

Probably Debian will do demoting like this for 11 and for 12 only compatibility libraries or something like that helpers... so 10 is probably the last clear one, altough does not sound it would be LTS also, so 2022. looks like hot spot there, what is exactly 10 years after became used by majority

AFAIR, Microsoft dropped Windows XP nearly at about 20% of estimated userbase (that was huge) and only after 3 to 4 years after life got bellow 5% silencio... now, not mention that with Windows 7 problem looks like even bigger than with XP
        Last edited by dungeon; 18 April 2018, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
          Does this forum have a habit of "eating" replies? Because I wrote one and it still didn't show up. I don't see it queued up for approval or anything... it's like I didn't write it. What could be going on?
          If you linked to another site your post could be under review before your post is posted.

Comment

I've had good luck running Debian weekly builds, which I install after checking the bug reports.

If you run the daily snapshots you ought to expect problems from time to time, that's why you are using them; to report bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              You have not used Debian testing/sid for 4 years. What only breaks in Sid is qt applications, qt libraries come first and then the application after a week or two delay. Debian testing does not have that problem. You can use non qt applications meanwhile. Arch Linuxes are not Steam games compatible (see system requirements) , so anything than Debian testing/sid Xfce is at the bottom of my list. Oibaf ppa gives you latest Mesa git fastest too.
              Actually, I'm using Debian testing for both my home server and work office PC. Although Debian has dramatically improved the past 2 or so years, I still get updates with conflicting packages or something that no longer works the way I expect it to. The most recent example of this is samba, where Debian's update just totally broke my cifs mounts, even though I didn't tell it to change the config files. This happened within the past month.
              I use Arch for my gaming PC and it works just fine. In fact, I'd argue Arch is easier to get Steam set up than Debian, thanks to the AUR. Arch is also easier when it comes to Mesa git, though, I don't typically want that either.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 10 March 2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Steam is easy to install to Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
                I know it is. I never said it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                X