Debian 10 "Buster" Should Be Out Around Mid-2019, Debian 12 Is "Bookworm"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

And why is that? You do know the history behind it, correct?
    Debian does not support any of the software that is used for the production of toy story movies. It was used in 1995 for a render farm for first toy story.

Comment

Originally posted by NeptNutz
      Well now, here's an area where SteamOS excels!

Assuming a version 3.0, I nominate "Crystal Maiden" as the moniker.
      Come on bro, Valve can't count to 3

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

Don't even get me started on 'bionic beaver' .
        Nothing can ever be worse than "Beefy Miracle" (Fedora 17).

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post

Nothing can ever be worse than "Beefy Miracle" (Fedora 17).
          Wasn't anaconda introduced then?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Who cares, "stable", lts etc distributions are a waste of human resources. Old and buggy software is for stupidos. Rolling release operating systems are modern computing. Use Debian testing/sid/experimental Xfce distribution and packages.https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
            Rolling is development model until release. Like tumbleweed never releases it's just a snapshot. I know what you mean, but technically it does not work that way for any operating system.

Comment

Who cares, "stable", lts etc distributions are a waste of human resources. Old and buggy software is for stupidos. Rolling release operating systems are modern computing. Use Debian testing/sid/experimental Xfce distribution and packages.https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
              I always tought how Debian should put WIP sign on these alpha/daily/dev/unstable/ installers, so that people know and to be properly awared what that is or at least what could do to some of these points:

Also any Linux kernel or whatever software before release should also have that sign Broken compositors (that is actually pleonasm, since there is zero non-broken compositors), should also have that entire time as a watermark

ACHTÜNG, ACHTÜNG!!! WIP AREA!!! PLEASE MOVE ALONG IF YOU ARE NOT DEVELOPER OR WILLING TO HELP IN DEVELOPMENT!!!

And wait for this most modern sign

Of course even that has no meaning, since some software use speedy release scheme as a marketing tool, while actually providing development shit as release
              Last edited by dungeon; 17 April 2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Plenty of people care about stable. You don't understand there's use cases other than your own don't you? What am I saying, of course you don't, you only care about your blinkered view of the world.

Comment

Probably Debian 10 will be the final operating system I will install on my old 32bit machines. I currently use Ubuntu 16.04 but I wont' upgrade them to 18.04 since there's not enough testing in ubuntu 32bit archives since the official flavor has dropped support. Also, many 3rd party software is not available for Ubuntu latest versions 32bit (e.g. megasync), but I hope they will support Debian 32bit for a little bit more.

Comment

I for one don't have much of a problem with the naming scheme of Debian. Despite being toys, most of the names aren't that childish or eye-catching. It actually took me a couple years to realize they were Toy Story characters, once I saw a lineup of all the version names (most of the names that were dead giveaways were in versions before I really started using Linux). I also think using Sid for unstable is pretty funny and clever.

Kind of the point of using Debian is for the stable repos. Unfortunately, their definition of stable=old, and their unstable is very much unstable. If I'm going to use a modern-rolling release, Debian is toward the bottom of my list of viable options. I've had way too many broken systems due to sid updates. Meanwhile, I've lost count of how many years I've ran my Arch systems, despite them often supplying newer software than Debian sid. Only once have I had an update that caused a major breakage, but it wasn't that difficult to fix.
                    For the record, Debian has rolling-release stable and testing repos, which I use at work and my home server. Testing is usually a pretty good medium between very old and unstable.

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
                    Probably Debian 10 will be the final operating system I will install on my old 32bit machines. I currently use Ubuntu 16.04 but I wont' upgrade them to 18.04 since there's not enough testing in ubuntu 32bit archives since the official flavor has dropped support. Also, many 3rd party software is not available for Ubuntu latest versions 32bit (e.g. megasync), but I hope they will support Debian 32bit for a little bit more.
                    Why exactly are you still running 32 bit hardware? Even if you're on a tight budget, a cheap modern ARM system would likely outperform whatever it is you're using. It'd easily pay for itself once you account for the reduction in your electric bill.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Why exactly are you still running 32 bit hardware? Even if you're on a tight budget, a cheap modern ARM system would likely outperform whatever it is you're using. It'd easily pay for itself once you account for the reduction in your electric bill.
                      Well, I still have those machines:

1. Laptop with 32bit intel core duo cpu (one generation before 64bit core2 duo) which isn't that bad and it handles many tasks really well (I am actually trying to sell this one for about 50 euros).

2. An old pc which I use without monitor for server tasks. Mostly for sharing my printer (which doesn't have network support on its own), remote torrents download and broadcasting media to my smart tv via minidlna, sharing files and a few other tasks. I have connected to it more than 5 IDE hard drives, so there are no cheap alternatives for this setup. Surely, in the future, with a small budget I could replace this with a big sata hard drive and a rhaspberry pi, but it still works fine so it's not quite worth it yet, in my opinion.

3. My mothers desktop pc which has intel pentium D cpu. It is still quite capable of browsing internet and libreoffice tasks and I think it's still doing a better job than a rhaspberry pi.

4. Finally, a not so old netbook (I believe one of the last 32bit netbooks) in which my father currently has windows 7 and I'm trying to convince him to install some linux on it (Debian is the last remaining 32bit distro with good quality in my opinion).

Comment

Working...
                      X