Fedora To Decide What To Do About GNOME 3.28's Auto-Suspend Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora To Decide What To Do About GNOME 3.28's Auto-Suspend Default

Phoronix: Fedora To Decide What To Do About GNOME 3.28's Auto-Suspend Default

While Ubuntu developers have decided to no longer enable auto-suspend by default as set with the new GNOME 3.28 desktop when running on AC power, Fedora developers are still debating the issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The original change to gnome-settings-daemon for GNOME 3.28 auto suspending by default cites an EU Commission Regulation that for computers that are not serving their main function, the hardware should offer a power management function to switch into a standby mode.
    Where is the hardware there? Gnome is software AFAIK

If EU Commission Regulation exactly says all OSes must have timed (and also suspended) standby enabled by default on computers which use and are designed to spike at more than 100W, blah, blah, if used in area, again, blah, blah... that is entirely something else

I am guessing all that, but laws are like that very boring and stright... these does not give you one inch for free interpretation

I agree these computers (just like regulations for too much fast cars ) who might use so much power (and that must be declared exactly what that power level is) should be standbyed, suspended, capped... whatever... but to enable something like this by default and for all is bullshit
    Last edited by dungeon; 05 April 2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Fedora devs should of Made this decision before the Beta of 28 was even released IMO. dont get me wrong but i love Fedora but in my view its going downhill

Comment

On the one hand, I love the idea of smarter power defaults for desktops. On the other hand, I was hit by this after I upgraded and ran an overnight test build on a Workstation. Fortunately, this was just a test, but it did set me back a day.

Maybe there should be some kind of brief 1st run setup, like Windows that configures these things after asking the user?

Comment

A white list would be a nice compromise here. Off by default (assume buggy hw suspend support) and enable if the hw is on the Fedora supplied white list.

Comment

Ahh, GNOME 3, the DE where the developers know best, and user-facing configuration options are the enemy (stupid users should just accept that devs know what's best for them)! /s

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
              Ahh, GNOME 3, the DE where the developers know best, and user-facing configuration options are the enemy (stupid users should just accept that devs know what's best for them)! /s
              Don't see how any of this is applicable here. It is a UI configuration option as always. The debate is around the defaults. Not the existence of the configuration option which hasn't changed in years.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                The debate is around the defaults.
                Laws says up to 20 minutes in EU and up to 30 minutes in US... so just set it to 25 minutes and let them debate it

And write errata "on average timing is legal, but this power feature could be considered as hot cake or bumpy road, so either not so perfect or just buggy; that depends if user is brave like Nikola Tesla or if user is stuipid like a child from cloned giraffe"
                Last edited by dungeon; 05 April 2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
                  There's always the option to not use Gnome if its approach to usability doesn't suit you.

Comment

Better, if Auto-Suspend will be a standardized as a power management feature for all desktop environment, but conditioned by various events, and should not be happening if some task running in background torrents, downloads, long compilations or a movie playing in full screen and many others. An during OS install or at first login user should be questioned anyway to know that setting exist. Users can find Auto-Suspend a useful feature if is implemented sufficiently flexible for here/his daily current needs. Alongside coupled with messages via DBus (before Auto-Suspend happens) or something to trigger some Auto-Save operations if needed just in case for a power outage.

Comment

Working...
                    X