No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Shedding More Light On Their "Magic" Performance Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I love Gentoo, the things Intel are doing here are way more advanced. I hope one day there will be a Gentoo repo with general PGO generated profiles so we can compile our apps with PGO enabled without having to collect the profile ourselves

Comment

Mainstream binary distributions would remain to be as generic as possible . That is of course because *one generic* library or binary should work on most of hardware, thus for most people.

And also, it must be only one as if something is not only one... that increases amount of maintance needed, that also introduce lower quality and in general more bugs you know, which further - no one will ever fix - as usual

No, this is not only Intel specific, Imagine some binary distro to provide optimized ARM binaries for every single SBC out there, nope mainstream binary distro won't do that.
      Last edited by dungeon; 05 April 2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
        INSTALL GENTOO
        and set your own CFLAGS
        one week later you've got a SUPER FAST GNU/Linux distribution faster than Clear Linux. ..of course some library breaks everything regularly and you have to recompile for a week but when it does work it's super fast.
        INSTALL GENTOO
        INSTALL GENTOO
        INSTALL GENTOO.
        Hi /g/
        Well, I've never tried Gentoo, but this doesn't seem like a selling point to me. If you don't care about gaming which needs high performance in order to enjoy it more, then the most common tasks are doing media manipulation/editing, compiling software, or in general use various software in order to do some specific job. So, you need high performance in order to complete those tasks sooner and have more available time in your life. If you need to compile a bunch of packages every week, then even if you do some tasks faster the rest days, you still lose time in average. Also, if I've understood correctly how gentoo works, every update/installation of a package means compiling it yourself, which means that it needs much more time to do so. If you add the extra effort, then it's definitely not worth it, in my opinion.
        Last edited by ThanosApostolou; 05 April 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Why is every Gentoo user a goddamn weaboo.
          I ran Gentoo when my time had no value.
          I assume that having all the time in the world lends people to both.
          Still enjoy some fine anime, but I'm far from weeby anymore.
          And now I get my software from debian files.

Comment

WT? Gentoo isn't a bleeding edge distribution. And "speed" sure aint why I'm using it. I'm using it because it is what I have on my system, and I couldn't be bothered to ever reinstall my system. Its rolling release distribution, not a bleepin ricer distro.
            Why don'y you change to Arch? Because I tried it, and it was all the risk of bleeding edge for just getting my system broken all the time, so I went back to simple old gentoo.

Comment

Jokes aside, I'm actually interested in the PGO parts, as those are usually the area one gets the most gain on. And some packages strongly like/dislike compiler flags.

Comment

To my knowledge, Solus is one of those distros using Clear Linux optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibb View Post
                  That's correct. Also, Solus added some kernel tweaks a little while ago to make the kernel more optimized for laptop/desktop use.

Comment

Which Gentoo based distro with gui and wayland by default is best ? Or is there a way to install that easily in stock gentoo ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibb View Post
                      Yep. You may not know, or care, but Ikey Doherty (Solus founder and lead dev) used to work for Intel so it makes sense that Solus is on top of optimizations such as those. Ikey is a really cool cat and quite funny at times. More people should follow him on G+ or reddit.

Comment

Working...
                      X