Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Shedding More Light On Their "Magic" Performance Work

Phoronix: Clear Linux Shedding More Light On Their "Magic" Performance Work

If you have been a Phoronix reader for any decent amount of time, you have likely seen how well Intel's Clear Linux distribution continues to run in our performance comparisons against other distributions. The developers behind this Linux distribution have begun a new blog series on "behind the magic" for some of the areas they are making use of for maximizing the out-of-the-box Linux performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is extremely interesting. Thanks Michael for sharing it!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      3 Hours Ago - Clear Linux - Improving Performanc - 1 Comment

Comment

INSTALL GENTOO
        and set your own CFLAGS
        one week later you've got a SUPER FAST GNU/Linux distribution faster than Clear Linux. ..of course some library breaks everything regularly and you have to recompile for a week but when it does work it's super fast.
        INSTALL GENTOO
        INSTALL GENTOO
        INSTALL GENTOO.
        Hi /g/

Comment

Found the gentoo user

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
            INSTALL GENTOO
            and set your own CFLAGS
            one week later you've got a SUPER FAST GNU/Linux distribution faster than Clear Linux. ..of course some library breaks everything regularly and you have to recompile for a week but when it does work it's super fast.
            INSTALL GENTOO
            INSTALL GENTOO
            INSTALL GENTOO.
            Hi /g/
            I did, systemD BTFO! OpenRC masterrace:

but haven't updated it since.
            Admit it, Gentoo cannot compete. ClearLinux is still faster.

Comment

Projects like easybuild make it possible to build lots of software with platform specific tuning in place. No need for special distro, really.

Comment

Too bad none of the mainstream distributions use any of the great compiler/library features.
                LTO, PGO, multi-cpu-libs etc - it is all there but completly unused.

At least SSE2 is mandatory for x86_64, otherwise I guess we would still end up with completly non-vectorized memcpy routines :/

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                  INSTALL GENTOO
                  and set your own CFLAGS
                  You can recompile key packages from source with every Debian or Debian based distro out there (Ubuntu, Mint, ...): no need to dumb yourself down to recompiling almost everything, even the image viewer! On Debian it boils down to:

Code:
                  $ apt-get source [I]yourpackage[/I]
                  $ cd [I]yourpackage-version[/I]
                  $ DEB_CFLAGS_SET="-g -O6 [I]or whatever[/I]" dpkg-buildpackage --no-sign 
                  $ sudo dpkg -i ../[I]yourpackage*[/I].deb
                  I can't speak for RPM based distros, but I bet they have similar tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                    Too bad none of the mainstream distributions use any of the great compiler/library features.
                    LTO, PGO, multi-cpu-libs etc - it is all there but completly unused.

At least SSE2 is mandatory for x86_64, otherwise I guess we would still end up with completly non-vectorized memcpy routines :/
                    Indeed. In my opinion mainstream distributions should drop support for anything more than a decade old at this point. Such hardware often malfuctions and breaks anyway and most people move on in 10 years, they upgrade their desktops or replace their laptops etc... For the tiny minority that refuses to adopt to modern times there could always exist compatible forks and other distros.

Using anything less than SSSE3 at this point is a joke, and i am being generous.

Comment

Working...
                    X