X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George99
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure where you live, but here in the Netherlands I can buy 16 GB DDR4 RAM for €142. Still a bit pricey, but waaaay cheaper than where you live.
    If you go for ECC and a brand like Samsung you will pay >170 €.

Leave a comment:

• Brisse
    replied
    Yea memory prices are insane. Almost a decade ago when I built what was then my main desktop I spent 80€ for 16GiB DDR3. When I finally replaced that about a year ago with my current Ryzen 1700X-system, I reluctantly spent 200€ for 32GiB DDR4. You'd think that a decade of technological progress would give you that capacity and speed increase at a similiar price, but reality is something else entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tambre View Post

At least video card prices are coming down. 200€ for 16GBs of DDR4 RAM is much more insane. Just a few years ago it was a quarter of that price.
    Not sure where you live, but here in the Netherlands I can buy 16 GB DDR4 RAM for €142. Still a bit pricey, but waaaay cheaper than where you live.

Leave a comment:

• tambre
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Memory is Cheap IMO, its VideoCards that are Expensive.
    At least video card prices are coming down. 200€ for 16GBs of DDR4 RAM is much more insane. Just a few years ago it was a quarter of that price.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
    When was the last time fedora was released on time
    "Last time" implies a first time. And I'm pretty sure Anvil's right... I've been using Fedora pretty much since the beginning, and I don't think they've ever actually hit a scheduled date.

Not that that really matters, of course... if the bi-annual release is a week or two late, it's not the end of the world. But it's been consistent enough to be a running joke after so many years...

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I will take the first distro that runs reliably on Ryzen Mobile! I thought Ubunutu was almost there but im still seeing Keyboard lock ups and an inability to recover from sleep. The two issues might be related - who knows.

Fedora though seems to be off in snother world, it really doesnt seem to be supporting new hardware as well as Ubuntu.
    While I am a Ubuntu on R5 1600 user, if I was building a Ryzen APU based system or planning on using an AMD GPU, I would probably reach for Open Suse:

In fact, I would go as far as to say that if you have an AMD based system and you can't get it to run reliably with Open Suse then you probably are not going to get it to run reliably with ANY Linux distro.

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by kevmif View Post

Why? Is there something specific in F28 that is likely to cause problems for people?

I did a netinstall in a VM a few weeks ago with MATE desktop and it is running great.
    Given that MATE 1.20 hasn't been packaged for Fedora 27, I can't wait to install F28 on my main system.

Fedora haven't realised a seriously broken version since the early days of pulseaudio, systemd, and their anaconda rewrite (that was the worst!). Last few years have been quite good IMO.
    its just my opinion. what are the real benefits of jumping from F27 to F28? i dont really see any.. Mate 1.19 that was in F27 was actuallty an unfinished Mate 1.20

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
    I am waiting for the Ryzen 2700 or 2700x releases with compatible motherboards. I am not after a toaster, but a cpu that runs at 45-50°C under normal load.
    I am not a gamer, and all I want is a 4k resolution video card that is open-source supported.
    I am also not keen to overpay for DDR4 memory.
    Overpriced gpus and overpriced ddr4 memory may be the reason that replacement desktop computers are not selling. Its a reason I am holding back on my upgrade.
    Memory is Cheap IMO, its VideoCards that are Expensive.

Leave a comment:

• kevmif
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Never has been afaik. but IMO your better off to wait for F29
    Why? Is there something specific in F28 that is likely to cause problems for people?

I did a netinstall in a VM a few weeks ago with MATE desktop and it is running great.
    Given that MATE 1.20 hasn't been packaged for Fedora 27, I can't wait to install F28 on my main system.

Fedora haven't realised a seriously broken version since the early days of pulseaudio, systemd, and their anaconda rewrite (that was the worst!). Last few years have been quite good IMO.

Leave a comment:

• lsatenstein
    replied
    I am waiting for the Ryzen 2700 or 2700x releases with compatible motherboards. I am not after a toaster, but a cpu that runs at 45-50°C under normal load.
    I am not a gamer, and all I want is a 4k resolution video card that is open-source supported.
    I am also not keen to overpay for DDR4 memory.
    Overpriced gpus and overpriced ddr4 memory may be the reason that replacement desktop computers are not selling. Its a reason I am holding back on my upgrade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X